Beers

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Re: Beers

Post by Angharrad »

Jim wrote:
Angharrad wrote: I'm Bella Foxx on Untappd, if anyone wants to see what I'm drinking. It's also a good way to keep track of recommendations.

I am also quite fond of Newcastle Brown, also Black Cabbie but I haven't seen that in a long time.
I think that I just sent you a friend request
Yes and I accepted it. Thanks.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Opinions wanted!

I'm considering a ncie winter brew to begin to lay down (I usually take about two months start to finish, between bottle-priming, fermenting, and lagering) and I think I'd like to try my hand at a dunkelweizen. My question is: do you guys think that one would stand up to (or overpower) a fruit flavor (in place of some or all of the sugar in the wort) and if not, what sort of fruit do you think would work? I'm sick to death of pumpkin beers, I'm considering cherry or cinammon apple - the apple might be a bit delicate, but I think it would pair well with the natural clove scent in a dunkel.

Or, should I chuck it and just make a nice coffee-flavored bock or Baltic porter?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Apple would be hard. Don't want to mess it up.

Coffee bock sounds good to me.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'm thinking it might be a little more winter-friendly anyway. I keep forgetting that it will be 6-8 weeks before I cna drink any of it.
as Bull offed Custer
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Not an expert at brewing, but for this time of year I think coffee would be good.

Speaking of pumpkin, I have been trying to find a good pumpkin ale. Everything I've tried so far as been very ehhhhhh
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

From Slave to Princess
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I do not think that I have ever had a pumpkin beer that I liked.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Alot try to over do it. I don't mind it, but I will pick something else.

I am not one of those people who hate it because it's merely flavored beer. I noticed a lot hate it but loves IPAs.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I am going to a beer fest on Saturday that is 90% home brews. It is for charity, cystic fibrosis. The brewers try their best to brew good and original beers for the event since it is so important. My sister is coming in from DC to attend as well.

http://brewingupacure.org/
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Angharrad
Captain
Captain

Post by Angharrad »

Jim wrote:I am going to a beer fest on Saturday that is 90% home brews. It is for charity, cystic fibrosis. The brewers try their best to brew good and original beers for the event since it is so important. My sister is coming in from DC to attend as well.

http://brewingupacure.org/
Sounds great. Enjoy.

From Slave to Princess
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The sampling of homegrown beers continues with Beach Haus, from the next county to mine, with their "Winter Rental" schwarzbier. As you may guess from the name, it's very dark, but light-medium in body and with a simpler and more of a toasted-grain malt flavor than a bock or Baltic porter. Even though it's a form of lager, similar to an American lager but with chocolate malts and noble hops, it's very similar to an Irish red ale.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Going the Vault in Yardley PA. They make very good beer and every Tuesday they do something called Trial and Error. Last week it was a Robust Porter with Habenero in it. Man that was good.

They are famous for their Sweet Potato Ale.

Hopefully today they will have something interesting again.