Beers

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Jim
Captain
Captain

Beers

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:Yep. I don't give a skinny rat's ass about her lifestyle preferences or self-identification - she's annoying through sheer overload and lack of raison d'etre.
I bought a case of that last year...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Series 9 Prologue

Post by IanKennedy »

I've never been a fan of raisins, sultanas or currants. They're just dried up old has-beens to me.
email, ergo spam
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

IanKennedy wrote:I've never been a fan of raisins, sultanas or currants. They're just dried up old has-beens to me.
It's a high % beer...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Just what do you call high %, we have one here that is 9%. Then there's "Tactical Nuclear Penguin" which is 32%, but that's the Scots for you ;)
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

IanKennedy wrote:Just what do you call high %, we have one here that is 9%. Then there's "Tactical Nuclear Penguin" which is 32%, but that's the Scots for you ;)
Sorry, I spoke too soon. The've been at it again:
Scottish brewery BrewDog has reclaimed the world record for the strongest beer in history with a 55% alcohol beer which it has named “The End of History.” Only 11 bottles will be available, and each bottle will come inside a stuffed animal – seven Stoats will be available at GBP500 and four grey squirrels at GBP700, making it also the most expensive beer in history. That's USD$1000 a bottle!
email, ergo spam
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

IanKennedy wrote:Just what do you call high %, we have one here that is 9%. Then there's "Tactical Nuclear Penguin" which is 32%, but that's the Scots for you ;)
I was actually thinking of Palo Santo which is 12%. Raison d'etre is only 8%.

I would consider 9%+ to be high, but I am talking about drinking beers, not specialty beers like Tactical Nuclear Penguin. You are not going to go to the store and buy a case (24 12oz bottles, 12 22oz bottles) of TNP. 9% is basically twice the alcohol of the big-name beers (Bud, Miller, etc).
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

IanKennedy wrote:
Sorry, I spoke too soon. The've been at it again:
Scottish brewery BrewDog has reclaimed the world record for the strongest beer in history with a 55% alcohol beer which it has named “The End of History.” Only 11 bottles will be available, and each bottle will come inside a stuffed animal – seven Stoats will be available at GBP500 and four grey squirrels at GBP700, making it also the most expensive beer in history. That's USD$1000 a bottle!
The road kill beer. For those that don't realize, that isn't a stuffed animal like a teddy bear... it is a dead squirrel... an actual taxidermied dead animal.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Yes, that is correct. It's a real dead animal:

email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I love learning about and trying new beers, different national varieties and styles, etc. Forget about the price - I am hard-pressed to think of a reason for 110-proof beer. If I'm drinking something with that sort of alcohol %; it had damned well better be Maker's Mark, Casamigos, Jameson's, or have a "Mac" in front of its name.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I agree, this is my favourite:

Macallan 18 year old sherry oak
email, ergo spam
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:I love learning about and trying new beers, different national varieties and styles, etc. Forget about the price - I am hard-pressed to think of a reason for 110-proof beer. If I'm drinking something with that sort of alcohol %; it had damned well better be Maker's Mark, Casamigos, Jameson's, or have a "Mac" in front of its name.
In 2011 I won a bottle of Utopias 8, and promptly sold it to a coworker. My brother-in-law then bought me a bottle of Utopias 10th Anniversary (Utopias-X) in 2012 which I still have in the basement, unopened. They are originally in the 30% range. The X is probably about 34% now. I also have a case of World Wide Stout (18%, bottled January 2014) which I am slowly working through (for a year and a half). It is a sipper.

I like the big flavors of big stouts. My normal go-to's are in the 8%-12% range.

The price "value" is all a matter of taste. I am not a whiskey drinker. I would rather have a $20 bottle of rum than a $150 bottle of "whatever" single malt.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Ian - good choice.

Jim - I think the most potent beer I've had was 25%. I found that the alcohol gave it a dry, "cidery" taste that completely washed out the pleasant bitterness from the hops. When brewing, that's a danger that arises from using too much maltodextrin (which boosts alcohol without adding more sugar.) I generally prefer good bourbons - Maker's Mark, Elijah Wood, Knob Creek, etc., but I also appreciate good scotch (or merely decent scotch with just a drop of water in a pinch) or Jameson's... or Casamigos anejo tequila.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: Beers

Post by Jim »

Sorry for going off track...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

TR-116. It happens sometimes.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Where did this break off from?

I am a beer drinker. More specifically a craft beer drinker. I hate the Big Three and Yuengling is the only cheap beer I do drink.

Craft beer being as huge as it has become, you can see yearly trends. Last year was the shandy and cider. I am seeing more and more sour ales this year too.

I truly hate the IPAs that are made though I have seen more and more people say something about how horrible the super duper Elemer's glue tasting hoppiness is. It tastes like the beer went bad and then some.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"