Bullying

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Bullying

Post by McAvoy »

Jim wrote:Granted, but these anti-bullying campaigns are treating everyone like the 1%.
I don't know if they still do this, but in terms of punishments, they treat the bullied and the bully the same too. I think if the person being bullied snaps or fights back should get the less punishment. Three days suspension as opposed to ten days.

Which reminds me, way to punish a kid for fighting by giving him two weeks off. I always thought the best punishment is an extended after school detention. Perhaps until 9pm.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

McAvoy wrote:I don't know if they still do this, but in terms of punishments, they treat the bullied and the bully the same too. I think if the person being bullied snaps or fights back should get the less punishment. Three days suspension as opposed to ten days.

Which reminds me, way to punish a kid for fighting by giving him two weeks off. I always thought the best punishment is an extended after school detention. Perhaps until 9pm.
Those sorts of polices are why I dropped out. How would I get home? My mom would be working at 9PM. Way to penalize the victim. You shouldn't penalize people for defending themselves, just like in adult life.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
McAvoy wrote:I don't know if they still do this, but in terms of punishments, they treat the bullied and the bully the same too. I think if the person being bullied snaps or fights back should get the less punishment. Three days suspension as opposed to ten days.

Those sorts of polices are why I dropped out. How would I get home? My mom would be working at 9PM. Way to penalize the victim. You shouldn't penalize people for defending themselves, just like in adult life.
It is an example and there is always exceptions to evetything. I mean seriously, if we cater to everyone how would anything work?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

McAvoy wrote:
Jim wrote:Granted, but these anti-bullying campaigns are treating everyone like the 1%.
I don't know if they still do this, but in terms of punishments, they treat the bullied and the bully the same too. I think if the person being bullied snaps or fights back should get the less punishment. Three days suspension as opposed to ten days.

I never understood suspensions. My #1 goal in school was to get OUT of school. Whether it be the end of the school day, end of the week or end of the year... walking out those doors was tops. A suspension just give me more time out of school... WIN!
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

McAvoy wrote:It is an example and there is always exceptions to evetything. I mean seriously, if we cater to everyone how would anything work?
My main point there is that the victim shouldn't be penalized. In adult life, if someone attacks me and I defend myself, they go to jail after they get out of the hospital. I don't pay a fine, or face charges, as long as there are at least witnesses. With all of the cameras in schools these days, it should be easy to identify who attacked whom.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
McAvoy wrote:It is an example and there is always exceptions to evetything. I mean seriously, if we cater to everyone how would anything work?
My main point there is that the victim shouldn't be penalized. In adult life, if someone attacks me and I defend myself, they go to jail after they get out of the hospital. I don't pay a fine, or face charges, as long as there are at least witnesses. With all of the cameras in schools these days, it should be easy to identify who attacked whom.

Ok you didn't make that clear because in the post you responded to I was agreeing that the victim should not be punished.

But my point still stands that giving students three to ten days off from school isn't exactly a punishment. Sounds like a vacation especially to those who will treat it as such.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Now suspension along with crappy community service might do it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:Now suspension along with crappy community service might do it.
Ahhh yes. That could work too.

The point is, is that taking away their free time is a great punishment. Not giving them more free time.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Can you force a kid to do community service? Any child-labor-law issues there?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

They sentence kids to community service all the time in NZ. Its one of the only true forms of punishment yo can actually give them. Usually scrubbing graffiti or picking up trash.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Jim wrote:Can you force a kid to do community service? Any child-labor-law issues there?
Definitely. Not child-labor if its a form of punishment. It is also regulated so you can't work someone underage for ten hours for example.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Awww man! Come on, 12 hours a day making big rocks into little rocks is such a character builder though! :twisted:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Vic wrote:Awww man! Come on, 12 hours a day making big rocks into little rocks is such a character builder though! :twisted:
Then add water to those small rocks to become big rocks all over again. No walking or sitting. Always in a hustle. Stand at attention for hours on end. Bread and water for three days and three days of regular food and then repeat.

Hmmmm... do that and we will have the smartest kids in the world. Or the dumbest which isn't that far from reality.