Pushing the button

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Re: Pushing the button

Post by Griffin »

I'd probably push the button just because I've been offered a button to press. I don't think if it were to happen I'd believe the stranger.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:I have nothing of much material value.

I have the entire collection of the original Twilight Zone
They give DVD's out for free in your region? :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Twilight Zone, free? That's one hell of a bargain.

Now that I think about it... I'm less inclined to think I'd push the button. My life is fine at the moment.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Mikey wrote:They give DVD's out for free in your region? :P

Hence why I said nothing much of material value ;-)
I used to have far much money than I have now. I now live in a hostel, and I have only what fits in my room. Which is very little.
And yet I am a far happier person now, than when I could go out and buy anything I wanted.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

It is safe for me to say it right now without the choice to say I wouldn't press the button. But if I knew for a fact that I would get a 100 million no questions asked and someone I would never know, it would be harder.

A million dollars is still a lot too. Not enough to stop working but definitely enough to pay off all bills, buy a house and new stuff without payments. I mean for those of you with mortgages and monthly debt bills. How much money per month would you save if you paid it call off. Then replace or repair everything you needed to but couldn't because of a lack of funds.

100 million? Id buy a house with a barn in the middle of nowhere. Have 68 assorted big dogs like Mastiffs and Great Danes and rescued mutts. I will be that crazy guy with a shit ton of dogs.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That's just it, for the vast majority of people even a million bucks is sufficient to pay off the house and cars and that alone will get you probably $1,000 more a month and make life significantly easier. A million is life changing but if I'm honest I'd spend it all on me. The idea that I'd put money towards a cause that could save more lives than I'd taken doesn't work so well. $100 million? I can donate $50 million to charities and never miss it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

A hundred million is huge, you could easily burn it, but I worked in a luxury environment for years, I know how to live a nice life with out spending massive amounts of money.

For 200k a year you can live in permanent splendor on a 6 star cruise ship having your every need catered to by people that have to be nice to you or leave you alone as you wish, your always somewhere new and interesting and only have to spend marginal money above that to do extra stuff.

20 million would have me living my dream life with anything I could realistically ever want with no concerns. Anything above and beyond that would be stupid shit like buying a jet I'd use once a year or stuff like that.

A nice house, a nice, a few fun cars to play with, land to do with what I want. My hobbies paid for.

I could spend 500 million... but 480 million would just be on a stuff for the sake of stuff. I'd collect stuff that I dont care about, go places for no reason appart to be seen.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Of you can easily spend it. The Lottery in the US proves that as most of your lumpsum winners blow almost all their winnings and wind up broke within five years. My point is that for me, personally, the difference in lifestyle I could afford if I only had $50 million instead of $100 million is insignificant (fucking government won't sell me an M1 Abrams) and I can buy $50 million worth of guilty conscience soothing.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

$50 million or more (net), and I'd have my own island, with facilities and a seaplane. Set for life.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I can say this now, without $100 million staring at me in the bank, but my desires in life are not extravagant. I think about the things I'd like most right now and I could spend maybe $2.5 million?

House - $2,000,000 Of which about $1,500,000 is the lot on my favorite island on Florida's west coast.
Boat - $100,000
Cars - $100,000 (Pay off the ones I own, fix up my Avalanche, buy an old Mustang to fix up)
New Entertainment System - $15,000
New Computer - $2,500
Guns - $25,000 (Probably enough to buy me every gun on my "I really want one" list that's not just ridiculous)

And that's about it for big purchases. After that I'm looking at things like P-51 Mustangs and other weird shit because I'm just kind of easy to please. After that I could live off what my money makes. $47.5 million, I could live off the shit interest rates you get from just a savings account from a bank, forget really investing it and make 5 to 8% a year safely. I get that you can blow serious money if you want to but when I start to ask myself what I would buy if I had stupid amounts of money the first thing I think about is a house on the beach, an old Mustang to tinker with, and an M1 Garand to go shoot. Beyond that I just start asking what's the point of that kind of money.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I have no desire for a island.

For me:

Ranch: 5 million
Cars: 200k
Helecopter: 200k
Fun stuff: 250k (electronics, hobby stuff ect)
Staff: 200k a year, 5 full time staff at 40k each, cooking, cleaning, taking care of gardens and animals.
Travel: 100k a year

Anything more than that is just extra shit.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Don't knock island life until you've given it a whirl. The isolation slows down the pace of life immensely.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

So does a ranch in the middle of no where and with less chance of hurricanes and flooding.

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Not really much of an issue honestly. Well, if you build sensibly. The island I'm thinking of builds all houses on the beach on stilts so flooding isn't an issue unless your name is Noah. And building to proper code ensured that even when they got run over by a hurricane it didn't destroy any homes. It made a mess but no one lost their home. If you live on the coast and have a fucking clue hurricanes are little more than bad thunderstorms.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Hurricane wont touch a concrete bunker. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939