Pushing the button

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Pushing the button

Post by McAvoy »

People are idiots when it comes to money or at least that is what the media says. How many people who have won the lottery haven't made themselves bankrupt? I know a few people who would spend it all to have fun with the full intent on going back to their crappy job a year later and they would be fine about it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

A cruise would drive me nuts, but I'd definitely book passage on a cargo ship and bugger off round the world. After that, either a log cabin in Alaska or a tin airfield somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Interesting how many people are voting to use their millions to attain physical isolation. I wonder why?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Only speaking for myself, but if I could, I'd avoid the vast majority of people altogether.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The idea of a ranch, 100 miles from everyone else but still able to have access to a decent sized city is ideal for me.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'd want to put a very large amount of the money into a savings account with high interest. If I won...say £100million, keep 20 million for spending and the rest in a savings account with...I dont know, 5% interest? I'd happily live off £400,000 a year.

As for property, Id like to build my own house not far from a big city but just distant enough to be remote. I like cities. but I also like isolation.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I want to be able to get to a largeish size town with in about 4 hours but big cities hold no appeal for me.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

There's no need for all that breakdown and planning. With, say, $5 million, one could easily pay off most of their current middle-class-type debt; set up a few 523 plans so that the kids' education is taken care of; and without getting too fancy, set up a couple of zero-coupon investment ladders with income return rather than gain. The sort of income you could get from a properly-formed ladder like that from a "mere" $1 mil start-up would be considerably more than the average upper-middle-class income, with leftover liquid assets to buy the toys.

I think the charity aspect is a crutch most folks would use to assuage their feelings of guilt and weakness for actually pushing the button.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

True. I'm buying out my guilt. What's wrong with that? It helps my murdering arse sleep at night.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Bah. People die every day. :twisted:
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:Bah. People die every day. :twisted:
Which, you'll note, is another of the rationalizations I mentioned that I'd expect. :P
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Bah. People die every day. :twisted:
Which, you'll note, is another of the rationalizations I mentioned that I'd expect. :P
But... I put a smilie next to it. So its all good now.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Every time I see this topic, I'm reminded of the end of MST3K...

"Push the button, Frank." ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Every time I see this topic, I'm reminded of the end of MST3K...

"Push the button, Frank." ;)
Where the hell is the damned "Like" button?
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

It feels good to be appreciated. :)