Cool Picture Thread

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Cool Picture Thread

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:The Yamato on paper looks better due to sheer size of her. But her 18.1" guns are of moderate quality whereas the Iowa's 16" guns compare very favorably with the larger gun due to the Super heavy she'll design.

Also the Yamato may have thicker armor but how it is connected to the hull is a weakness. Some say the actual armor plate was of inferior quality.
I thought I just said that. :?
DarkMoineau wrote:And weren't the british ship who have fight against the Bismarck real glass canons?
No. KGV's main battery was a bit buggy, but Rodney was far more reliable, and there were no issues with the projectiles. Between the two of them they silenced Bismarck within half an hour. You might be getting mixed up with the shell designs used at Jutland, which were crap, tended to break up on impact, and were a big part of the reason the HSF survived.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Ok, thanks :)
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:The Yamato on paper looks better due to sheer size of her. But her 18.1" guns are of moderate quality whereas the Iowa's 16" guns compare very favorably with the larger gun due to the Super heavy she'll design.

Also the Yamato may have thicker armor but how it is connected to the hull is a weakness. Some say the actual armor plate was of inferior quality.
I thought I just said that. :?
DarkMoineau wrote:And weren't the british ship who have fight against the Bismarck real glass canons?
No. KGV's main battery was a bit buggy, but Rodney was far more reliable, and there were no issues with the projectiles. Between the two of them they silenced Bismarck within half an hour. You might be getting mixed up with the shell designs used at Jutland, which were crap, tended to break up on impact, and were a big part of the reason the HSF survived.
One thing that bugs me is that when Bismark is mentioned it is the biggest ship with the Yamato being mentioned in passing. Technically the Iowas are bigger than the Bismark.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The Hood wasnt a fantastic design either though, and if memory serves it never got its planned armor upgrade.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:The Hood wasnt a fantastic design either though, and if memory serves it never got its planned armor grade.
The ship never was put into drydock for anything major because the ship showed the flag all over the world. It was recognized early on in her career she had weak horizontal protection.

In fact one of the plans was to refit hee like the Renown. But even then she would have been out classed by Bismark anyway. On paper at least. One should remember that more often than not those pesky shells ended up in places where they sshould have not.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Nutso wrote:Image
Dr Evil: "All I want is freaking whales shooting freaking rainbows out of their spouts, is that too much to ask?"
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

This smells like Myth busters does the Bat mobile.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

IanKennedy wrote:
This smells like Myth busters does the Bat mobile.
It reminds me of the old show 'Battle Bots' writ large. :D
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It is a mythbusters... don't know what they were testing though.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

A way of getting through traffic jams?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Looks like something the A-Team made.
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It would appear to be Car crash Cliches.

Myth : "A large truck driving at high speed can plow through two lanes of stopped cars and continue forward without stopping."
Notes:
Adam and Jamie fitted "the Beast" (the dump truck they had previously used in "JATO 3" and "Crash Cushions") with a heavy reinforced bumper, then set up 10 cars in two parallel lines to simulate a traffic jam. When they drove the Beast into the cars at 40 miles per hour (64 km/h)., they were able to push through four car lengths before coming to a stop among the wreckage.
Declaring the myth busted, they decided to modify the Beast so that it could successfully plow through the traffic. They fabricated an attachment similar to a locomotive cowcatcher, in the hope that it would throw the cars aside and out of the Beast's way. For this test, they set up 16 cars instead of 10 and lubricated the attachment's surface with lard; driving at 40 miles per hour (64 km/h), they were able to push all the cars far to each side and continue rolling forward.

Source

YouTube Copy
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

IanKennedy wrote:It would appear to be Car crash Cliches.

Myth : "A large truck driving at high speed can plow through two lanes of stopped cars and continue forward without stopping."
Notes:
Adam and Jamie fitted "the Beast" (the dump truck they had previously used in "JATO 3" and "Crash Cushions") with a heavy reinforced bumper, then set up 10 cars in two parallel lines to simulate a traffic jam. When they drove the Beast into the cars at 40 miles per hour (64 km/h)., they were able to push through four car lengths before coming to a stop among the wreckage.
Declaring the myth busted, they decided to modify the Beast so that it could successfully plow through the traffic. They fabricated an attachment similar to a locomotive cowcatcher, in the hope that it would throw the cars aside and out of the Beast's way. For this test, they set up 16 cars instead of 10 and lubricated the attachment's surface with lard; driving at 40 miles per hour (64 km/h), they were able to push all the cars far to each side and continue rolling forward.

Source

YouTube Copy
Bless you, Mythbusters, for doing crazy shit so we don't have to!