Cool Picture Thread

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Cool Picture Thread

Post by DarkMoineau »

IanKennedy wrote:Why is she in it. It's a set of Captains and she isn't a captain...
Because it is a set of main characters?
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

IanKennedy wrote:Why is she in it. It's a set of Captains and she isn't a captain...
Advertising.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:So apparently CBS posted this :

One Enterprising (ha!) fan has posted a corrected version...

In case anyone else can't see the original image:

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

DarkMoineau wrote:
There is more than one main character per series. Spock / Bones are main characters in TOS, for example.
email, ergo spam
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

IanKennedy wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote:
There is more than one main character per series. Spock / Bones are main characters in TOS, for example.
Well, I said it was a set of main character, not the set of all the main characters.

You could even argue, it is a set of the supposed stars of the show....
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Nutso wrote:
Advertising.
Certainly a way of advertising one of the worst things about STD. Apart from it being a sexually transmitted disease, that is.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

DarkMoineau wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote: Because it is a set of main characters?
Well, I said it was a set of main character, not the set of all the main characters.

You could even argue, it is a set of the supposed stars of the show....
Trek has never really been about a single person, though... and actually you did say characters, it's right there in the quote.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:So apparently CBS posted this :

One Enterprising (ha!) fan has posted a corrected version...

I get the the second is a cool picture, but the first? ;)
email, ergo spam
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

IanKennedy wrote:
Trek has never really been about a single person, though... and actually you did say characters, it's right there in the quote.
A lot of show are not about a single person.... but there is always a face wich is more well known or supposed to be more well known. Don't forget it has been done by Marketing service, not fans.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

DarkMoineau wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:
A lot of show are not about a single person.... but there is always a face wich is more well known or supposed to be more well known. Don't forget it has been done by Marketing service, not fans.
Marketing can only put so much polish on a turd.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

IanKennedy wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote:
Previous shows under the Star Trek label have all had ensemble casts. Discovery has a star and a set of supporting characters.

Seriously... how many bridge officers on Discovery could you even name? The Captain, Alien Guy, Burnham, and...?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Sylvia Tilly

email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Not a bridge officer, is she?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Not a bridge officer, is she?
Engineering Room officer I would say.

Saru is the only bridge officer I can name despite finding the redhead pretty and being interested on the injuries she suffered between the pilot and the rest of the show has she now wear a less pretty but more interesting prostethic on the head.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The show certainly focuses on Burnham way more than any previous show focused on anybody. Probably as much as TOS focused on Kirk, Spock and McCoy put together.

That Burnham is a character I really didn't like is one of the main issues I had with the show.

I was actually thinking about this, because a friend pointed out that Kirk also mutinied and betrayed Starfleet in ST III. As Spock did in The Menagerie, for that matter. So why did I forgive Kirk and Spock but not Burnham?

I think it boils down to two things. One... I can sympathise with their motives. Kirk did what he did for Spock, and if I were Kirk in that situation, I would have done the same thing. It seemed to me to be the right thing to do. Likewise with what Spock did for Pike.

But Burnham? She was asked to wait and do nothing whilst reinforcements arrived. That seems perfectly reasonable to me! She wants to attack for what she considers good reasons, but the script never establishes that attacking the Klingons would have actually worked - and indeed, it seemed to me like it had no chance at all of working given that the T'Whatsit actually wanted war.

So her actions seemed stupid. They seemed like something I would not have done.

And second... we like Kirk and Spock. We'd had like fifteen episodes when Spock did his thing, and the whole of TOS and two movies when Kirk did his. We already knew them as characters, we knew how important Starfleet was to them, we knew how competent and dedicated they usually are. We want to forgive them.

And I'm sorry, but the Discovery pilot makes Burnham look like a disobedient moron, over and over again. She agrees to 'a quick pass, no contact' on the object... and lands on it. She kills a Klingon by accident. She busts out of sickbay against orders. By the time she did her mutiny, I already didn't like her. The ending is treated as a cliff hangar, with the hook of 'how will she be redeemed?' But I didn't want her to be redeemed. As far as I was concerned, the end of the pilot was a perfect culmination of her character arc and left her exactly where she should be.

If it were any other series she'd just be the character I didn't like. (I actually can't think of another Trek major character that I hated. Some I like, some I don't care about, but hate? Not thinking of any.) But they then gave us a whole series focused massively on somebody I was actively rooting against.

Come to think of it, I can't really think of any character in Discovery that I like. Some they badly mishandle (Mudd, Sarek), some are just nobodies (most of the bridge people), but I can't picture myself wanting to spend time with any of them.