Cool Picture Thread

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Cool Picture Thread

Post by Deepcrush »

That depends on the bullet. Soft top rounds or flex rounds and you're good. Solid piece rounds and you're still in trouble at anything less the thirty feet.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

And I assume you're just talking about handguns there. Rifles would obviously extend that.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

If fired in water maybe (haven't looked up anything yet on rifles in water).

Fired from outside, and 6 inches can stop a 50cal anti armor round.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

They did bullets in water on mythbuters. Rifles were useless. The bullets exploded when they hit the water.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Super sonic rounds vs water doesn't work from an aiming point of view. Their KE causes an extreme of force that turns the rounds into shrapnel. That however should not make anyone believe they are useless, they just aren't accurate.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Deepcrush wrote:Super sonic rounds vs water doesn't work from an aiming point of view. Their KE causes an extreme of force that turns the rounds into shrapnel. That however should not make anyone believe they are useless, they just aren't accurate.
They are useless, the shrapnel slows to almost nothing within the first few inches.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

stitch626 wrote:They are useless, the shrapnel slows to almost nothing within the first few inches.
No, some are useless, others are still lethal. I've seen flak vest punched by rounds and shrapnel at a far greater ranges then a few inches.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Oddly, the more powerful rounds like the .50BMG lost their lethality in shorter distances of water (14 inches) as opposed to slower pistol rounds (4 to 8 feet). And as the angle increases from vertical (as in not shooting straight down) the distance before non-lethal becomes less. The 8ft for the 9mm round at 90% became only 4 ft at 30%.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/07/myth ... water.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvSTuLIjRm8

It's odd that a large round like the .50 can go through armour plating but not be lethal in 2 feet of water.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Its just a matter of KE, the faster the round the more energy is transfered to the water on impact and thus more strain on the bullet. Supersonic rounds normally don't do well, but subsonic rounds are the reverse.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Home for Christmas...

From bottom to top, front to back, or left to right:

Aircraft carrier DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER (CVN 69)

Aircraft carrier GEORGE H. W. BUSH (CVN 77)

Aircraft carrier ENTERPRISE (CVN 65)

Amphibious assault ship BATAAN (LHD 5)

Aircraft carrier ABRAHAM LINCOLN (CVN 72)

Aircraft carrier HARRY S TRUMAN (CVN 75)

Amphibious assault ship WASP (LHD 1)

Amphibious assault ship KEARSARGE (LHD 3)

Amphibious landing platform dock NEW YORK (LPD 21)

A T-AKE dry cargo ammunition ship

Amphibious assault ship IWO JIMA (LHD 7)

and various cruisers, destroyers, frigates and submarines of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

So, the Bush has a marquee on her deck, and the Big-E (has she officially been decommissioned yet) has a bunch of portacabins. Why? :?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Basically storage and to protect whatever they are doing from weather. They could be redoing the non-skid.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

It's impressive to see how big they are and how a force like this one could, alone, beat almost any other navy in the world.

And there is only some ships, not even a complete Carrier Battle Group.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Never mind any other navy, that force could beat every other navy in the world combined without breaking a sweat.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Yeah the US Navy and the 10 Carrier group can beat every other navy. After all the rest of the world could do what? France has a complete carrier group, China is building one, but the other countries? England hasn't anymore, but two are planned, and other carrier owner don't have proper carrier group.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt