Cool Picture Thread

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Cool Picture Thread

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

McAvoy wrote:Yeah those battleship pics brought up the amusing myth that a battleship will be pushed sideways when they fire all guns at the same time.
There has to be some recoil, even if it just rocks the ship a bit (though it could be dampened with inertial mass dampers or a similar device)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well, shells weigh about a one ton, so nine tons going one way, pushing 50,000 tons the other way... recoil should be about 5,500 times less than the gun's muzzle velocity. So yeah, not going to do a lot of pushing there. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Yeah those battleship pics brought up the amusing myth that a battleship will be pushed sideways when they fire all guns at the same time.
There has to be some recoil, even if it just rocks the ship a bit (though it could be dampened with inertial mass dampers or a similar device)
Here is an article about it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

The law says it must :). Even if you can't measure it.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I love anything battleships. The Bismark was the one that got me into naval history. Then I started to read about it and it is such a rich history but unfortunately anti climatic in the end.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

McAvoy wrote:...but unfortunately anti climatic in the end.
Ain't that the truth? I always wanted to know if the Bismarck or Yamato would have beaten the Iowas toe-to-toe.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Probably not http://www.combinedfleet.com/baddest.htm

Some things called radar guided weapons and chemicals greatly help the Iowa.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

DarkMoineau wrote:Probably not http://www.combinedfleet.com/baddest.htm

Some things called radar guided weapons and chemicals greatly help the Iowa.
yeah, but still would've been interesting to see.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

It's always interesting ;)
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
McAvoy wrote:...but unfortunately anti climatic in the end.
Ain't that the truth? I always wanted to know if the Bismarck or Yamato would have beaten the Iowas toe-to-toe.
Oh one of the best things to argue with me is exactly that.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Ain't that the truth? I always wanted to know if the Bismarck or Yamato would have beaten the Iowas toe-to-toe.
Yamato vs Iowa would probably have been a very even match - raw numbers favour Yamato (i.e. heavier weight of broadside and thicker armour), but the Iowas had better armour arrangement, superior shell design, were faster, and of course had radar.

Bismarck would have been slaughtered. One flucky hit against Hood gave her a reputation far outstripping anything the design deserved.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Yeah the Hood wasn't able to compete with theses ships.

Superior range, speed, accuracy and better designed (but not thicker) armour favor the Iowa for me. But it would have been great to do a match like this. Maybe War Thunder when they will add boat and World of Tank in boat version will both allow us to do it :P (but yet they offer plane / tank and plane to offer soon tank / plane)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

DarkMoineau wrote:Yeah the Hood wasn't able to compete with theses ships.
She was a far better design than Bismarck - as I said, it was a pure fluke that Bismarck's shell hit at just the right point, time and angle partway through the turn to penetrate to the propellant magazine.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:Ain't that the truth? I always wanted to know if the Bismarck or Yamato would have beaten the Iowas toe-to-toe.
Yamato vs Iowa would probably have been a very even match - raw numbers favour Yamato (i.e. heavier weight of broadside and thicker armour), but the Iowas had better armour arrangement, superior shell design, were faster, and of course had radar.

Bismarck would have been slaughtered. One flucky hit against Hood gave her a reputation far outstripping anything the design deserved.
The Yamato on paper looks better due to sheer size of her. But her 18.1" guns are of moderate quality whereas the Iowa's 16" guns compare very favorably with the larger gun due to the Super heavy she'll design.

Also the Yamato may have thicker armor but how it is connected to the hull is a weakness. Some say the actual armor plate was of inferior quality.

The Bismark class was given an air of invincibility due to being German and a big fluke.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

And weren't the british ship who have fight against the Bismarck real glass canons?