A new random thread

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: A new random thread

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Reliant121 wrote:I think Doctors in Trek are often some of the most interesting characters. Whether you love them or hate them they are very well fleshed out and have quite intricate personalities.
Yeah. Even Pulaski, for all that I loathe her, at least had a bit of spark about her. Granted I kinda wish the spark ignited some oil...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:I think Doctors in Trek are often some of the most interesting characters. Whether you love them or hate them they are very well fleshed out and have quite intricate personalities.
Yeah. Even Pulaski, for all that I loathe her, at least had a bit of spark about her. Granted I kinda wish the spark ignited some oil...
Ugh, I appreciated the intent with Pulaski - they wanted the Data/Pulaski dynamic to mirror the Spock/McCoy dynamic. But they didn't really seem to understand the Spock/McCoy dynamic very well... seemed to think it was just "two characters who bicker. So we'll make Pulaski and Data bicker and it will be the same!" :madashell:
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Ugh, I appreciated the intent with Pulaski - they wanted the Data/Pulaski dynamic to mirror the Spock/McCoy dynamic. But they didn't really seem to understand the Spock/McCoy dynamic very well... seemed to think it was just "two characters who bicker. So we'll make Pulaski and Data bicker and it will be the same!" :madashell:
Oh, agreed 100%. They forgot Spock gave as good as he got and the two, under all the bickering, actually liked each other. There was none of that with Pulaski.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

For me, the key aspect is that although McCoy was often the "aggressor", we could symathise with him because we kind of wanted him to be right. All McCoy really wanted was for Spock to loosen up and acknowledge his emotions - and as the audience we want that too, because the whole basis of Spock's character is that he's rather tortured by having to restrain/deny his emotions all the time. We sympathise with Spock's dilemma and wish he could admit his emotions - so even though McCoy is being kind of an ass, and kind of racist, we're also on his side.

But Data is the mirror image of Spock; the whole basis of his character is that he wants to have emotions but isn't able to. We sympathise with his plight and wish he could have emotions and be a "real" person. So when Pulaski does her "you're just a machine" schtick, we have no reason whatsoever to sympathise with her point of view. So she comes across as a bully who is just being mean to a character we really like. Little wonder nobody liked her.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Good on him.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Captain Seafort wrote:"The word is no. I am therefore going anyway." Good man. :)
That's one awesome guy :)
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

That guy's just badass.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Here's what I want: my own private bathroom.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Do you mean at work?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Anywhere really, LOL. When I'm not home alone there are just too many times when a bathroom is in use at the wrong time (we have two though one has the cats' litter box and hasn't been as well kept for human use). There's really less competition at work. Actually it's a particular problem for me since I have to use it more often than most people for a couple of reasons.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I want a throne made from the bones of my enemies!

Barring that, a lollipop!
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I want a throne made from the bones of my enemies!
Vigo: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Barring that, a lollipop!