A new random thread

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: A new random thread

Post by McAvoy »

Lt. Staplic wrote:
Teaos wrote:Well fuck. I doubt anyone can give good advice in this situation. But that being said, I would choose to avoid prison.
I'm wliinng to ddie fro mst of my prncples...whts a prsn sentance
On a scale of one to seeing a pink elephant, how drunk are you?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

What's a prison sentence? It's a metric shitload worse when it's really happening to you than when you are espousing how much you'd sacrifice for your principles and it's just an abstract concept. Think about not just yourself, but all the folks who would be hurt by your absence; also remember that if whatever you intend to do "for your principles" would land you in jail, then doing it would likely violate some principles as well. As Jerry Garcia once said, "Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

A jail sentence isnt just a couple of years. It is a cloud that will follow you for life, you will never get a good job, never get a good rate on loans, never have many of the opportunities one needs to live in our modern world. At some point in that future, you will most likely have no choice but to go against your principles time and time again just to live.

Put it this way, this time you bend or break what you see as your principles, then spend the next few years, or your whole life, doing your best to make the world a better place, maybe not on a grand scale but just for the people you come across and have the chance to help. Is that not a net gain? At the end, when you tally up your life, is a black mark going to offset all the good you can otherwise do?

And this is just an assumption on my part, but the fact you are saying you can probably avoid jail by "selling out" and from what I know of you, I doubt you have actually done anything to warrant jail time. You dont deserve this. You dont deserve jail. Your priciples are not black and white, because if keeping to them will cause this, chances are you need to reevaluate them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Also, I'm not sure if you were around here when Bryan (The guy who started this thread) was active. But he went to jail for "Just a couple of years" back in 2010, and is life is a sypthany of suck that you wouldnt wish on anyone.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Bryan Moore went to prison?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Indeed he did. He's now out but has not come back to the forums.

http://articles.courant.com/2008-10-08/ ... detectives

Also makes interesting reading:
http://www.topix.com/forum/source/wtnh/ ... 6H2V3IL957
email, ergo spam
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

They don't call it "ass-rape prison" because it sounds good... So, apparently SOMETHING is going to get shoved up your ass and your moral principals are the MUCH better option...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Lt. Staplic wrote:Well I may not be posting much (read at all) soon. I get to choose between spending the next few years to life in prison and simultaneously emotionally crippling or at leat offending everyone I care about, or taking every moral principal I've ever believed and shoving those right up my ass. Lfie is fun
Life is too short to throw away in prison. In prison you will have to betray every moral principle you have to survive.
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

IanKennedy wrote:Indeed he did. He's now out but has not come back to the forums.

http://articles.courant.com/2008-10-08/ ... detectives

Also makes interesting reading:
http://www.topix.com/forum/source/wtnh/ ... 6H2V3IL957
Jeez. I don't know what to say.
Stan - South Park
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I agree with Teaos and Mikey on this; Loyalty is an important virtue to have, but if that loyalty were reciprocated, would you be in this situation?

Never take the fall for something you didn't do, Staplic. Most people just don't deserve that kind of loyalty.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Here's another thing about which to think: will those principles hug your mother? Will they fill your seat and talk with your family at Christmas dinner? Will they begin the family that you might have been fated to found, or the contribution to science/sport/the economy/politics/whatever that you were meant to contribute?

Believe me, dude, I have two kids and I often think - even in my calm, rational moments - what I would do for their safety if I was backed into a corner. What I would do would even itself be a violation of my more idealistic principles. But, how much of a father could I be to them from behind safety glass for an hour every Sunday?
as Bull offed Custer
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Germany are World Champions. The guy who subbed for Klose scores the winner. Unbelievable. We all saw him running in the open while there were no Argentinians near him, he received the pass and had space to put the ball past the goalie. The end.
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I can't say much other than... I'd avoid prison time if I could.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Especially for Captain Seafort and Ian: on an episode of "@Midnight" last week, one of the categories which the panel had to answer was for fictional award categories for the Espys (an award program for the field of spectator sports produced by ESPN.) One of the answers from British actor Peter Serafinowicz was a category for "Least ball-shaped ball." To be fair, one of the answers from one of the American panelists was for "Best performance by an American pretending to care about soccer for a couple of weeks."
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.