The Youtube video thread!

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

Mikey wrote:Here's one for you, Celeritas. My brother-in-law just had an acoustic neuroma removed. The thing was 13 years old, entwined around the auditory nerve, and abutting - though not yet ingrown - the brain stem. The neurosurgeon was actually able to debulk the tumor from the inside out, leaving only the neuroma's capsule, and thereby avoiding any damage at all to any facial nerves. Normal prognosis is at least 3-6 months of partial facial paralysis, with a fair to middling chance of permanence.
a neuroma near where CNVIII exits the brainstem? wow, i'm glad to hear that he got treatment for it. nifty little trick to remove it from the inside out to protect the not just to any nerve but the facial nerve (CNVII). This is the big bad boy of the cranial nerves because it carries lots of inputs and outputs: motor innervation to the muscles of facial expression, stapedius, posterior belly of the digastric, and stylohyoid muscles, parasympathetic innervation to your sublingual and submandibular glands, and your lacrimal gland, plus taste to the anterior 2/3rds of your tongue and sensation a small patch of skin right around your earlobe. wow i can't believe i remembered all that. anyhow, its important and its good that the surgeon was able to protect it.

edit: ok, i forgot about the posterior belly of the digastric and the stylohyoid muscles. i'm such a newb.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Teaos wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNPvdsJS-qE

For sheer hilarity.
He kicks the guy off his show for basically the exact thing he is doing at that exact moment. There is a word for that...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Azrael
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Azrael »

Mikey, did your BIL, have Tinnitus?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

He didn't experience any tinnitis, jsut some partial and intermittent hearing loss. Being a quarterback from the time he was 8, and usually one without a very good o-line, we attributed it for some time to the fact the he collected concussions like some people collect stamps. His GP attributed it to some invisible ear infection.

In fact, the neuroma was discovered by a CT scan ordered by his oral surgeon, to detect some chips left behind when a wisdom tooth was removed. We have since found out that over half of acoustic neuromas, and most of the ones that do not exhibit any exclusive symptoms, are found via dental procedures.

Unfortunately, the procedure to remove such a tumor in the stage of advancement that it was involves removing the middle ear. On a positive note, though, the surgery went well enough, and with little enough "collateral damage," that my BIL may be a candidate for a cochlear implant in a year or two to restore most of the hearing.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

RE: Youtube and schools

The school I work at has Youtube blocked, although there is a password to get through the block.
Needless to say, within a week the whole school knew the password.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Don't you wish your students spent as much time and effort on schoolwork as they do on legerdemain?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Azrael
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Azrael »

was just wondering mikey, as i suffer from tinnitus, and almost wish it was a A.N. easy to remove in most cases..
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, aside from that tricky bit about growing into your brain stem and wreaking havoc with involuntary motor function...

Have you had your blood pressure monitored over a period of time? Tinnitis can be a symptom of hypertension.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Best I've seen is this:

OK Go - Here It Goes Again
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdjt6Bl5qdY

This is a German safety instructional video... until about four minutes in. At which point the makers seem to have decided to turn it into a slasher flick instead!

Do no watch this if you are squeamish!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

GrahamKennedy wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdjt6Bl5qdY

This is a German safety instructional video... until about four minutes in. At which point the makers seem to have decided to turn it into a slasher flick instead!

Oh, I've seen that one before! But not with subtitles, though.

ANd I'm still trying to figure out how Claus loses his head...

Oh, here's mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_15G_tIl38

Bohemina Rhapsody-IN lego!
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

GrahamKennedy wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdjt6Bl5qdY

O M G ! ! ! :shock: that was crazy!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:This is a German safety instructional video... until about four minutes in. At which point the makers seem to have decided to turn it into a slasher flick instead!

That was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my entire life.

Do I need specialized help?
as Bull offed Custer