Re: Freaking Awesome

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

New hero, Deep? :lol:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

No, but that doesn't change that he's Freaking Awesome.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Damn right. Anyone who can kill 500+ soldiers with nothing but iron sights is pretty badass.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've posted this before, but this is what Lachhiman Gurung did in World War II.
On 12/13 May 1945 at Taungdaw, Burma (now Myanmar), Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung was manning the most forward post of his platoon which bore the brunt of an attack by at least 200 of the enemy.

Twice he hurled back grenades which had fallen on his trench, but the third exploded in his right hand, blowing off his fingers, shattering his arm and severely wounding him in the face, body and right leg. His two comrades were also badly wounded but the rifleman, now alone and disregarding his wounds, loaded and fired his rifle with his left hand for four hours, calmly waiting for each attack which he met with fire at point blank range.

Afterwards, when the casualties were counted, it is reported that there were 31 dead Japanese around his position which he had killed, with only one arm.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

GrahamKennedy wrote:The most Freaking Awesome weapons system of all time : The Ohio class ballistic missile submarine.
Ballistic missile submarines are some of the scariest things humanity ever thought up. It also represents some of the most trust any military gives to any commander. They hand 288 nuclear warheads, nearly 140 megatons of destructive force, to a single commander and tell him to go wait for the order to kill a few million people.

One thing that makes the Ohio even more awesome, it's a first strike weapon. It's not like Russian SSBN's, which can only target city sized things and even then only have about a 50/50 chance of hitting them. The Ohio and it's missiles was designed to be able to go after military targets with warheads accurate enough to pick off individual Russian/Chinese missile silos. The Ohio can go out, putter around the ocean and within minutes of getting a launch order pop off a missile from a random spot, have it travel 7,000 miles, then drop a dozen nuclear warheads within 200 feet of their target, warheads big enough mind you for that to pretty much be a bullseye. The mind boggles.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm going to nominate the kukri. For a bladed weapon, it's stopping power:size ratio is incredible. The crook makes its center of gravity placed perfectly for devastating blows, but not so its impossible to use like a khopsh.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Speaking of bladed weapons. The Katana should be here. The craftsmanship and power behind this weapon are remarkable.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yes, besides being an amazing weapon, the craftsmanship behind the weapon is almost more amazing...
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think it has always been that threefold quality of a Katana: the deadly nature, the sublime craftsmanship and the minimalistic beauty all in one.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Oh the note of the Katana. Lets not forget its primary users. A warrior class matched throughout history only by the Spartans of Greece. The Samurai. A class who's sole point of being was to serve. In fact, that's what their very name means. "To serve with Honor".

From art, fashion, mathematics, poetry, carpentry and metal working to battle tactics, horseback riding, archery, sword fighting and polearms. They touched every piece of Japanese culture for more then 800 years. While even today remaining a solid point of reference and reverence for future generations to recall.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It's a nice sword, until your opponent wears armor.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I'd agree with the Katana as well.

I've just taken up Iajutsu. Apparently, it only takes about 40 years to master. I'm not planning on practising with anything but a wooden pointy stick.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:It's a nice sword, until your opponent wears armor.
The thing is that it wasn't meant for punching through armor. They had a heavy casted spear for that.