Music you like.

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Music you like.

Post by Nutso »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Nutso wrote:Weezer just don't give a fuck anymore...
This whole album of covers is interesting but extremely limited in appeal - I really enjoy covers, even if they are note for note, but this entire album is essentially just that and grows a bit tiresome by the end. Charming tributes, and Rivers Cuomo is genuinely a huge fan of all these bands he's covered, so I don't think it's a lack of fucks given, but rather a self-serving bit of nonsense. The most interesting thing was that it was a pretty fun mix of songs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weezer_(Teal_Album) - Odd hearing "No Scrubs" after "Paranoid" after "Happy Together" but this also didn't need to exist.
I mean they don't give a fuck what anyone thinks or expects, they're doing what they want. Above I have posted a video of Weezer, with Weird Al as th lead singer, no Rivers Cuomo, singing Toto's "Africa," Weird Al playing his accordion and the video is in the style of Weezer's first music video, "The Sweater Song." I think they're doing this out of love, like you said. :)
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Kate Bush, Hounds of Love
https://youtu.be/VerK4zwMRQw
Having trouble embedding the video here, not sure what I'm doing wrong. :/
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

katefan wrote:Kate Bush, Hounds of Love
Kate Bush is somewhat of an anomaly to me. If I wasn't a big music fan, especially of this style, I'd have next to no knowledge of her, as she is almost exclusively a British phenomenon with little presence in the States. I utterly adore Roxy Music and The Pet Shop Boys, both of which share that Art-Pop feel Bush has, the former of which she has admitted being very influential on her sound. Similarly, her work with Peter Gabriel in the late 70's clearly influenced her later stuff - hell, the production, especially the percussion on the Hounds of Love album absolutely screams Gabriel/Genesis. Vocally, she reminds me of a slightly less interesting Annie Lennox, which is to say, she is still better than 90% of female singers of the era. Despite all of this being right up my alley, I don't think I have ever independently thought "Man, I gotta throw on a Kate Bush album!" Yet now that you've posted this video, I'll probably spin that vinyl tomorrow, which I believe has only been played once since I snagged it a couple years back for maybe $5, and enjoy every second of it. Cool reminder!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Kate Bush is somewhat of an anomaly to me. If I wasn't a big music fan, especially of this style, I'd have next to no knowledge of her, as she is almost exclusively a British phenomenon with little presence in the States. I utterly adore Roxy Music and The Pet Shop Boys, both of which share that Art-Pop feel Bush has, the former of which she has admitted being very influential on her sound. Similarly, her work with Peter Gabriel in the late 70's clearly influenced her later stuff - hell, the production, especially the percussion on the Hounds of Love album absolutely screams Gabriel/Genesis. Vocally, she reminds me of a slightly less interesting Annie Lennox, which is to say, she is still better than 90% of female singers of the era. Despite all of this being right up my alley, I don't think I have ever independently thought "Man, I gotta throw on a Kate Bush album!" Yet now that you've posted this video, I'll probably spin that vinyl tomorrow, which I believe has only been played once since I snagged it a couple years back for maybe $5, and enjoy every second of it. Cool reminder!
Glad to hear that you are giving Bush another chance. I know she is not for everybody. Me, I found out about her when I discovered Pat Benetar's Wuthering Heights was a cover. It was one of my favorite Benetar songs so I had to track down the original, which caused me to find Bush's greatest hits album on cassette.

Yes, I am that old. Honestly it was the best three bucks I ever spent because I became a die hard fan.

And "slightly less interesting Annie Lennox"? Harsh, dude. :) While I do like some Eurythmics tunes Annie's voice never really caught on for me the way other vocalists did, like the aforementioned Benetar and Bush or even Heart.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

katefan wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:
Glad to hear that you are giving Bush another chance. I know she is not for everybody. Me, I found out about her when I discovered Pat Benetar's Wuthering Heights was a cover. It was one of my favorite Benetar songs so I had to track down the original, which caused me to find Bush's greatest hits album on cassette.

Yes, I am that old. Honestly it was the best three bucks I ever spent because I became a die hard fan.

And "slightly less interesting Annie Lennox"? Harsh, dude. :) While I do like some Eurythmics tunes Annie's voice never really caught on for me the way other vocalists did, like the aforementioned Benetar and Bush or even Heart.
Oh, don't get me wrong - the Annie Lennox comparison is not a dig. In truth, Kate Bush probably has a more pleasing/melodic voice, but there is something very unique and compelling about Annie Lennox's voice, as it is so different than just about any female vocalist of the day. Thing with Lennox - I prefer listening to her work with other artists and/or do covers, rather than most of her own stuff, which is convenient, as she's appeared with basically everyone of that era.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

This was the first Kate Bush song I ever heard, from the movie "She's Having a Baby."

Stan - South Park
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Nutso wrote:This was the first Kate Bush song I ever heard, from the movie "She's Having a Baby."

Good song. She has a certain ethereal quality to her voice in this song (I suppose in most). Wholly forgot about this scene/movie - good find.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

it's not even funny how much of a Bangles kick I'm on.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:

That's a pretty awesome song.
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

katefan wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:

That's a pretty awesome song.
It is, yeah. Thanks. :D

Here's some more epic Bangleness.

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral