Member of a social networking site? Post yours here...

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Member of a social networking site? Post yours here...

Post by Sonic Glitch »

schizo-hal wrote:
me,myself and I wrote:
schizo-hal wrote: Aim: ReMiDoDoSo (cookies to whoever can figure out that reference!)
The sound of music?
Nope. Much more Music-nerdy.
One of those chorus scale/warm-up thingies I barely remember from last year? ...something like soul feg (thats how it sounds at least--not sure about spelling)?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

I never got past the quite puberal do-re-mi-fa-so-do-mi.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

So this is a six year bump. I was check the old thread for something and could not help but notice a bunch of us acting like pretentious dick heads claiming to not use or need that new confounded "Facebook". A Myspace was actually mentioned a few times in a non ironic way.

Not only does this date us, but this forum.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I didn't make an account until around 2010 just because of my experience with MySpace.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I started mine mid 09 when I started traveling. I use it all the time now, its replaces email for 90% of my casual correspondence. Despite what people say, I think if used well Facebook is great, its helped me keep in touch with people I would of had no contact with after saying goodbye years ago.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Teaos wrote:So this is a six year bump. I was check the old thread for something and could not help but notice a bunch of us acting like pretentious dick heads claiming to not use or need that new confounded "Facebook". A Myspace was actually mentioned a few times in a non ironic way.

Not only does this date us, but this forum.
I don't have any so called social network accounts and likely never will. I don't see the point. The closest thing I have is LinkedIn. I do post photos on ePhotozine.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, my Facebook account helps me with coordinating my trips to California and Utah, but beyond that I don't use it a whole heck of a lot.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I use it to share pictures that I normally wouldn't share. I mean family pictures not memes. It also helps me keep in touch with people that I would have never contacted.

No one emails me unless it's business so this works out.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It really depends on your life style. If all your friends and family are with in an hour or so of you, then there is probably not much point, but I have family in three countries and friends in dozens.

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:It really depends on your life style. If all your friends and family are with in an hour or so of you, then there is probably not much point, but I have family in three countries and friends in dozens.
Yeah, there's the rub. My family in California and friends in Utah, easier through Facebook than any other method, really.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

That kinda suggests that your friends are some amorphous blob that are all interested in the same things. That's not always the case. Everything isn't relevant to everyone, thus email is more useful.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote:That kinda suggests that your friends are some amorphous blob that are all interested in the same things. That's not always the case. Everything isn't relevant to everyone, thus email is more useful.
Actually because of Facebook you can scroll past a post made by a friend you for example decided to rant about politics. Same friend could put up a picture too. It is also a disadvantage as it is easy to spam the shit out of people with political or religious or non funny memes. Which is why you can unfolded them but still be friends. I had to do this with one of my friends as he thinks he is educating people with his poorly thought out political memes. Had to do it for an ex girlfriend too.

I would never email 99% of these people but through Facebook I did learn who had a baby or who is getting married or going on vacation. Hell I even got a recipe or two off of it.