A TOS-ified NX class

Enterprise
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

A TOS-ified NX class

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So there's a fan universe called Pacific 201, set around a ship of that name. I don't like the Pacific 201 design all that much myself, but I do greatly admire the thinking behind the decisions in the design - I just don't care for how it ended up looking.

But the guy is also expanding his universe out to doing different versions of the canon ships, including how he thinks the NX-07 would look. His idea is that each new NX class ship was modified compared to the last, and that each one would be closer to the TOS design aesthetic.

I think this looks pretty damn awesome - certainly a lot better than the original NX design.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: A TOS-ified NX class

Post by Mikey »

Doesn't do much for me, but there is one aspect of note: it took very little modification to "TOS-ify" it. That is, it could have been so easily done by the show.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
DonP
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by DonP »

This is something that puzzles me about "creative types", which applies to both Enterprise and Discovery. I get that they have their own vision. They have stories they want to tell, visuals they want to present, all of that. And presenting those in their own framework is admirable. Finding a way to blend them into an existing framework is amazing. Taking an existing framework, throwing out anything that's already been established that you don't like, and doing whatever the hell you want with it is the opposite of creative. It's destructive.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

DonP wrote:This is something that puzzles me about "creative types", which applies to both Enterprise and Discovery. I get that they have their own vision. They have stories they want to tell, visuals they want to present, all of that. And presenting those in their own framework is admirable. Finding a way to blend them into an existing framework is amazing. Taking an existing framework, throwing out anything that's already been established that you don't like, and doing whatever the hell you want with it is the opposite of creative. It's destructive.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

DonP wrote:This is something that puzzles me about "creative types", which applies to both Enterprise and Discovery. I get that they have their own vision. They have stories they want to tell, visuals they want to present, all of that. And presenting those in their own framework is admirable. Finding a way to blend them into an existing framework is amazing. Taking an existing framework, throwing out anything that's already been established that you don't like, and doing whatever the hell you want with it is the opposite of creative. It's destructive.
Could't agree more.

The annoying thing is that with things like ship designs, it's so easy to stick to canon. Look at the ships on either side of the time period you're in, and combine elements of the two. Job done. For the Ambassador class the designer literally put a picture of an Excelsior under a Galaxy, drew straight lines connecting all the major parts, and used them as a guide for the Ambassador so that the proportions of nacelles, saucer, engineering hull, etc were all exactly between those of the Excelsior and Galaxy.

But I guess the producers like to have a unique look to their project.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...