1 season = 1 year

Enterprise
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

1 season = 1 year

Post by Teaos »

I saw about 10 minutes of the Enterprise episode where they investigated Earth first colony that had disappeared decades ago. And I was thinking that something that monumental in human history was treated as just another one shot episode.

It stuck me that a lot of the drama of the series was lost due to them bouncing around between planets to fast.

I think they tried to hard to keep to the 1 season 1 year rule, and that had a huge negative effect on the plot.

The original double episode pilot could have been much more dramatic if we saw a crew preparing to leave on a mission to go further than any human had ever been, years away from contact, maybe never seeing certain people again.

The dynamic of the show would have changed if we saw them going a bit batty on a 4 month trip somewhere then step into the unknown.

As annoying as the Akiraprise is, as stupid as Archer was, as prickish as the Vulcans were. I think the lack of feeling of true exploration was what was really missing from the show.

That Human colony could have easily ben a 3-5 episode plot arc with a few B plots thrown in the flesh it out. Instead we get a poorly done, one off, never mentioned again shitfest.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: 1 season = 1 year

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I agree. That was the main failing of the show; the lack of frontier travel/facing the unknown really detracted from the otherwise solid acting and production.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Looking at it some of the plots they had really wernt that bad, they just needed to develop them more.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

There should've been large gaps in travel time and between episodes, barring two-parters.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not just gaps, they could have done episodes there. If they had just skipped over they time it would have felt like cheating almost.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The shame is that the actors were never the problem, it was the tasking that really hurt them. You can have crew that are no different then what we see. An over eager captain, the self important vulcans, a displaced crew with no real understanding of what they are getting into. However that only works when thats a part of your show.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

They could have stretched out the season like 1 season = 2 years or something. Have a large gap between episodes.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Even less, 1 season could span 3-4 years and the next season could span 2 years depending on plot. It shouldnt matter if its linear.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:Even less, 1 season could span 3-4 years and the next season could span 2 years depending on plot. It shouldnt matter if its linear.
That's my point. If they planned on this, then at the opening of each episode, they could do:

13.4 lightyears From Earth
65 days since Drydock

Or something like that.

A handful of episodes could be story arcs as NX-01 tries to figure out how to fix/settle/explore etc. I mean this is before any human could read and learn from previous examples of the same situation. This is where Archer would make his own mistakes, create rules, fix mistakes etc.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

That would have been a beautiful solution.

Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

I cannot remember this episode but they really waited 10 years to investigate what happened to the FIRST freacking human colony ever?

All the while low-warp-speed human freighters are roaming the depths of space and noone makes a stop to look for a minute what happened, if there's business to be made etc?

That being the first colony I would expect that there would be a huge interest in in and a constant back and forth between earth and the colony.

As I said, didn't remeber seeing this episode but the premise alone sounds incredible stupid.

And as for the lack of exploration I agree this was always a joke. Lo and behold the mighty Enterprise going where noone has gone before. Oh yeah, and btw. here are our vulcan star charts, nothing much to see here. It's really hard to get a sense of excitment and explorative feeling if you just follow the vulcan GPS around but maybe that is why T'Pol always looked so bored on the bridge.

Always had the feeling that they didn't explore stuff, but just coming late to the party while every other civilization routinely roamed the vicinity.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Terra Nova is the episode.

Do we know the distance from the colony? Maybe it was too long for a freighter to go to. Or a ship could not be spared.

I also think it was longer than 10 years.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Sad but true.
McAvoy wrote:That's my point. If they planned on this, then at the opening of each episode, they could do:

13.4 lightyears From Earth
65 days since Drydock
I like that
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

According to DITL's review on the ep, Terra Nova was was located about 20 light years from Earth so it's not that far away.

Also Enterprise visited the colony in the 6th episode and they run into that Y Class in Fortunate Son, the 10th episode, so the colony is inside the reach of human cago ships
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

And no-one bothered to check in what happened when the first human colony in the history of mankind suddenly goes quiet?

You know that is exactly the kind of bullshit I will never understand how they where able to go through with it. It's not something you need to be very bright or a mathematician to calculate distances etc. it's just a bit common sense.

I guess I will never understand the inner workings of some tv-shows and how some of the easily avoidable BS happens. I mean especially Enterprise came across like someone forced the writers on gunpoint to come up with some shit or else.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.