NX Class Phase Cannons

Enterprise
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

NX Class Phase Cannons

Post by alexmann »

According to Silent Enemy, Enterprise was designed to carry 3 phase cannons. However, an examination of pics of the CGI model from Doug Drexler shows a far larger number of 8.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x36 ... annons.jpg
ImageImage
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: NX Class Phase Cannons

Post by stitch626 »

Yeah...

To put it simply, she was launched in a less prepared state than the E-B.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

stitch626 wrote:To put it simply, she was launched in a less prepared state than the E-B.
She wasn't that bad - she at least had torpedoes and a medical staff.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

alexmann wrote:According to Silent Enemy, Enterprise was designed to carry 3 phase cannons. However, an examination of pics of the CGI model from Doug Drexler shows a far larger number of 8.
When is that image from? Enterprise was refitted several times, with additional cannon added on each occasion, as Graham's analysed before.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Not to mention Colombia was rather different as well. Think the ships evolved significantly over time.

But the issue isn't adding more. It could easily have fifty. But they would only be able to have 2 or 3 operational at one time.

The NX class only had a fixed energy out put which wouldn't have changed much over time. Maybe a few percent up as the fine tuned it and fitted in newer parts. But by that logic it would lose power as it wore out.

And if phase canons need to be kept "armed" for us, implying a degree of power being feed into them, then you would only be able to have the original number armed at one point.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Captain Seafort wrote:
alexmann wrote:According to Silent Enemy, Enterprise was designed to carry 3 phase cannons. However, an examination of pics of the CGI model from Doug Drexler shows a far larger number of 8.
When is that image from? Enterprise was refitted several times, with additional cannon added on each occasion, as Graham's analysed before.
http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/06/ ... ise-class/

I believe that was the last CGI model they used and I just counted the number of ports.
ImageImage
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

The number of places a gun could be isn't the same as the number of operational guns. As Teaos pointed out, energy could be a limiting factor. Those extra ports could also represent planned future upgrades.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Or in the case of the early episodes... number of physical cannons available on the ship was the limiting factor.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

But of the power is split between them more doesnt mean better.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

While it would be split, I think they had enough power for more guns.
ImageImage
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

And your reasoning behind this is?

I guess presumably they could fit more cannons but there would still be a physical limitation somewhere if not power.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Well maybe not at warp but my reasoning is:

If they can generate enough power to propell a 280,000 metric ton starship at 125 times the speed of light, they can generate enough power for a lot more weapons.
ImageImage
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah and then it won't be a Warp 5 ship. Ships are are all about some sort of balance. You could have the NX class this super battleship but it won't do much if it takes months to go anywhere as opposed to being there in a matter of days or even weeks.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

No, my point is:

When they are not at warp they can use the power that would be used for that to power the weapons systems.
ImageImage
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well for one thing, the first cannon test they did produced an overload that fired it at ten times normal power. So they can power at least ten normal cannons simultaneously, just by accident.

And given that nobody said anything about the warp core being at all stressed by this, that implies to me that the phase cannon don't actually draw a whole lot of power. So does the fact that they can fire at least two phase cannon whilst at still running from enemy ships at warp. YMMV on that one.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...