NX Class Phase Cannons

Enterprise
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: NX Class Phase Cannons

Post by Atekimogus »

It is kinda shame....because completely out of context of the timeframe the NX Enterprise is really not so bad looking at all. And if one reads up on the development history of the model at the drexfiles they did really put a lot of thought into it, which unfortunatly was never picked up by writers. (For example they had the complete process of loading and unloading worked out and had iirc a whole system for traveling on the outside of the ship in case of repairs, unfortunatly this was never picked up by the writers, I guess they just cannot bothered to read a few notes from the designer-team, shame, really).

One of those things Drexler mentioned on the blog somewhere is, that they put a multitude of access-panels around the ship hull just for the case that they need to place a technical gagdet for an episode somewhere, so that they'd have a place for it.

Meaning that altough we see 8 holes/accessplates for phase cannons, that wouldn't necessarily mean that they have 8 phase cannons on board, just that there are 8 slots to put various stuff into it.

Considering that the NX is a technological testbed for many systems that does even make a bit of sense in universe.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Not only does it make sense, it's canonical fact. To wit: the number of cannons she with which she was launched versus the on-the-go addition of a number of extry cannons.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Atekimogus wrote:It is kinda shame....because completely out of context of the timeframe the NX Enterprise is really not so bad looking at all. And if one reads up on the development history of the model at the drexfiles they did really put a lot of thought into it, which unfortunatly was never picked up by writers. (For example they had the complete process of loading and unloading worked out and had iirc a whole system for traveling on the outside of the ship in case of repairs, unfortunatly this was never picked up by the writers, I guess they just cannot bothered to read a few notes from the designer-team, shame, really).

One of those things Drexler mentioned on the blog somewhere is, that they put a multitude of access-panels around the ship hull just for the case that they need to place a technical gagdet for an episode somewhere, so that they'd have a place for it.

Meaning that altough we see 8 holes/accessplates for phase cannons, that wouldn't necessarily mean that they have 8 phase cannons on board, just that there are 8 slots to put various stuff into it.

Considering that the NX is a technological testbed for many systems that does even make a bit of sense in universe.
I never minded the look the of the NX class and I definitely liked the testbed aspect of it even though it really was never explicitly stated as much though.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Agree that you could have more, they just would not all be available at full power while at max speed. No issues with that. You don't HAVE to use everything at 100% all of the time. When in a battle and not at warp all of the power could go to the cannons as opposed to the engines. It would also give you redundant backups incase any cannons go down due to failure or damage.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

There have been several occasions of "transfer power to ...".
ImageImage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

alexmann wrote:If they can generate enough power to propell a 280,000 metric ton starship at 125 times the speed of light, they can generate enough power for a lot more weapons.
I would love to see your calculations for the relative power required to run the warp drive and phase cannon.
GrahamKennedy wrote:Well for one thing, the first cannon test they did produced an overload that fired it at ten times normal power. So they can power at least ten normal cannons simultaneously, just by accident.
That doesn't mean the power distribution system can handle those sorts of yields without risking the whole ship blowing up.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nor does it mean that it can't.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

We have heard on a few occasions that transferring power to shields, or SIF or weapons does at best a few percentage points over 100%.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:Well for one thing, the first cannon test they did produced an overload that fired it at ten times normal power. So they can power at least ten normal cannons simultaneously, just by accident.
That doesn't mean the power distribution system can handle those sorts of yields without risking the whole ship blowing up.
That doesn't mean they can't reinforce it from standard capacity. It's a testbed. They change their systems often, surely (not calling you Shirley, before anyone says anything) they can do that.
ImageImage
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Beyond"Silent Enemy" can you state an episode where they verbaly enhanced the weapons or polarized plating?
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

We've seen them firing many (more than 3) of their cannons in rapid succession while at warp.

We don't know why they were only given three to start with, but it sure as hell wasn't because they couldn't power them.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

McAvoy wrote:Beyond"Silent Enemy" can you state an episode where they verbaly enhanced the weapons or polarized plating?
Regeneration, off the top of my head.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

stitch626 wrote:We don't know why they were only given three to start with, but it sure as hell wasn't because they couldn't power them.
Remember that weapons were not a very high priority for these ships when they were designed. When they set out they had no idea that the galaxy was such a dangerous place. Hell, even the three cannon was a major step up in firepower over what they launched with. I suspect three was chosen on the grounds of "well three is enough for anybody, surely?"
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

stitch626 wrote:We've seen them firing many (more than 3) of their cannons in rapid succession while at warp.

We don't know why they were only given three to start with, but it sure as hell wasn't because they couldn't power them.
Thank you! I haven't watched much of Enterprise.
ImageImage