Enterprise-which timeline?

Enterprise
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Enterprise-which timeline?

Post by Mark »

I was watching Netflix while eating dinner last night, and decided to watch Enterprise to do some research on the Romulans in that series for our RP and started with (is it Minefield?) with cloaked Romulan mines, and cloaked Romulan ships. Now, in TOS Balance of Terror it was absolutely clear that was a new technology was never before seen, and was in fact the prototype of its kind.

I see absolutely no way to reconcile this, unless we except Enterprise to be part of the New Trek universe. In the nTrek universe they make mention of Enterprise crewmembers (Archer and his beagle), are not surprised at all by the appearance of the Romulans (no OMG they are Vulcans!) which makes be wonder if they HAD seen each other before.

We'd discussed this before, but with this refreshed supporting evidence, I think we're able to make a more intelligent decision.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Enterprise-which timeline?

Post by stitch626 »

That works up until the last episode. However, I would have no problem saying that all the sequences with Riker did not exist.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Easy - the whole series is proof that Riker's a shitty fanfic writer who didn't do his research. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Nice Seafort......the people at work think I'm nuts for laughing at the computer.

But, STRICTLY SPEAKING...the last episode never happened. Everything we saw was a holodeck program depicting events that happened two hundred years previously. I know that we today have a hard time accurately depicting events in reality of two hundred years ago.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Exactly. While what's onscreen is canon, for good or ill, that last ep is merely canon of what Riker's program reported. A textbook that's wrong still transmits its information.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah but two hundred years ago the most advanced record keeping devices were a quill pen and the wood cutting.

Still, I'm growing more and more attached to the idea that Enterprise takes place in the new Trek timeline. It was created in first contact with the Borg attack. It gives plenty of time to account for iTrek's much larger ships as well as Enterprise in it's entirety.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

While I agree that it fits in nicely with the nuTrek, I just have a hard time from personal point of view to put ENT outside of the Primeverse regardless of the inconsistencies...

But... somewhere it was said about STXI was that it was the Primeverse until Nero went back into time and attacked the Kelvin. But you could say the Primeverse ended when E-E and the Borg went back in time in First Contact.

Me personally, the last episode never happened though. Some parts of it perhaps.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:But... somewhere it was said about STXI was that it was the Primeverse until Nero went back into time and attacked the Kelvin. But you could say the Primeverse ended when E-E and the Borg went back in time in First Contact.
You could say the same about every single incident of time travel in Trek, and that primeverse Earth was destroyed by the whale probe, or even earlier.
Me personally, the last episode never happened though.
Not even on the E-D's holodeck? :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I agree. Which is why I just say it's a different universe that vaguely resembles the Primverse.

Nope. Some of it I do think it real. Archer's speech, possible NX-01's decommissioning, uniforms, stuff like that.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I know I'm in the far minority that likes at least seasons 3 and 4... but I can sorta see it as the start of the nutrek timeline. Where the changes began to happen.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

It was First Contact that split the universes. Earth was attacked from orbit, forcing humaniny to develop better weapons more quickly.....which is why they just "forgot" lasers, and had photon torps in 2154.

The all ASSUMED the break happened with the attack on the Kelvin, but the Kelvin herself shows characteristics of being 50 or so years more advanced than she should be.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah that and she is supposed to be much larger than she should be too. Uniforms fit in nicely with ENT though. But I consider Abramsverse to be totally seperate from Primeverse even if that means the Old Spock really isn't Our Spock.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:It was First Contact that split the universes. Earth was attacked from orbit, forcing humaniny to develop better weapons more quickly.....which is why they just "forgot" lasers, and had photon torps in 2154.
Possibly. It's certain that FC had an effect, because the pre-Borg-attack Zephram Cochrane's drunken ramblings wouldn't have involved the Borg. Whether or not it's the defining split between the Geneverse and the Abramsverse, and whether the NX-01 belongs to the former, latter, both or neither is another matter.
The all ASSUMED the break happened with the attack on the Kelvin, but the Kelvin herself shows characteristics of being 50 or so years more advanced than she should be.
They knew for a fact that the attack on the Kelvin was a break. The issue for us is that the pre-attack Kelvin clearly wasn't part of the Geneverse, introducing a further point or points of divergence.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I agree with Chief O'Brian.

"I hate temporal mechanics."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I know I'm in the far minority that likes at least seasons 3 and 4... but I can sorta see it as the start of the nutrek timeline. Where the changes began to happen.
No, I like seasons 3 and 4 of Enterprise. Well, part of season 3. Still, there are so many things in Enterprise that make it spotty as being in the Prime universe.