Enterprise races

Enterprise
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Enterprise races

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I never thought this was much of a problem. It's like watching a series set in the US and complaining because they don't include people from each and every US state.

I'm perfectly happy to believe that there was some Ensign on deck 35 of the E-D who was a Denobulan, or a Xindi Primate. I'm also pretty certain that if there's ever another series set in the post TNG era, they'll stick a Xindi Reptile or Insectoid in the background somewhere.

In fact, I'd be prepared to bet that Denobulans and Xindi have already showed up in post TNG novels as being "always there". Or if they haven't, they will soon.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Don't get me wrong, I don't consider an insurmountable problem or even more than a minor annoyance. It's just that, as I mentioned, it's an issue that could have been easily avoided with an iota of thoughtfulness.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I never thought this was much of a problem. It's like watching a series set in the US and complaining because they don't include people from each and every US state.

I'm perfectly happy to believe that there was some Ensign on deck 35 of the E-D who was a Denobulan, or a Xindi Primate. I'm also pretty certain that if there's ever another series set in the post TNG era, they'll stick a Xindi Reptile or Insectoid in the background somewhere.

In fact, I'd be prepared to bet that Denobulans and Xindi have already showed up in post TNG novels as being "always there". Or if they haven't, they will soon.
I agree with you about the a series set in the US. I think it's more like watching Jersey Shore and thinking the whole US acts like that.

When it comes to season 3, while i enjoyed it, I have tendenancy to think it was a drug trip Archer did on some Vulcan shrooms.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

It is more along the lines of the Xindi, Andorians and Orions being relative super-powers during Enterprise and even into TOS, but then being relative no-bodies in the DS9 time. Other races fit that as well. Was it simply big fish/small pond analogy? The human exploded tech wise, did the Xindi and Andorians simply stop technological advancement? One would think that with the Expanse now being more habital that the Xindi would have expanded and grown, not vanished.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

They didn't stop advancing technologically, they became part of the Federation, shared tech, and now should be on equal footing technologically. Human, Xindi, Andorian, and a 100+ other races are all part of a shared technological base. Why Humans are a major player in the Federation and not the Xindi could depend on a lot of things, if that is in fact true and not merely a perception due to the shows' focus on the human element of the Federation.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

There were a ton of species in TOS not mentioned in the TNG era. Did Tellarites even get anything? I think Andorians got Lal trying one out on the holodeck in 'The Offpspring' and... that's it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Lighthawk wrote:They didn't stop advancing technologically, they became part of the Federation, shared tech, and now should be on equal footing technologically. Human, Xindi, Andorian, and a 100+ other races are all part of a shared technological base. Why Humans are a major player in the Federation and not the Xindi could depend on a lot of things, if that is in fact true and not merely a perception due to the shows' focus on the human element of the Federation.
It's not a question of "major player." The issue is that the Xindi were a major concern to Earth, almost destroying it, then disappeared with no explanation even thought they were said to have later joined the UFP. I understand that it's a retcon, and TNG+ couldn't be changed to reflect the presence of the Xindi; but the idea could have been very easily treated in ENT to avoid this issue.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Jim wrote:It is more along the lines of the
Xindi, Andorians and Orions being relative super-powers during Enterprise and even into TOS
, but then being relative no-bodies in the DS9 time. Other races fit that as well. Was it simply big fish/small pond analogy? The human exploded tech wise, did the Xindi and Andorians simply stop technological advancement? One would think that with the Expanse now being more habital that the Xindi would have expanded and grown, not vanished.

I don't know that I'd say "super-powers" per say may be an overstatement.

The Humans were shown to be significantly behind the bar, technologically speaking. They were always portrayed as about 50 or so years behind the Vulcans.

The Andorians MAYBE. They seemed to have the whole cold war thing with the Vulcans going on. But they didn't seem overwhelmingly powerful either. I'm pretty sure the Klingons could have taken them at that time, if they chose too.

The Orions? No. The problem there is that they weren't a united galactic power, but are generally a race of crime orginazations and syndicates, getting into all kinds of criminal mischief.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The thing with the Orions was their supposed technological superiority. Even in TOS, their ships could run circles around anything the UFP put up.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

They were portrayed as pirates. They'd almost have to have the fastest thing in "the water".

A non cannon suppliment I once saw on the Orions had a brief explination for that, that made sense. They theorized that Orions build their ships as little more than a massive engine, with a big forward gun attached to disable the prey.

It's defensive systems are pretty pathetic as the E-nil disabled it in pretty short order.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Even the episode featuring them made clear that their super fast speed was a gimmick. They were a suicide ship, using all of their power on the attack and not holding back any reserves to get home.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Even the episode featuring them made clear that their super fast speed was a gimmick. They were a suicide ship, using all of their power on the attack and not holding back any reserves to get home.
Still, it stands to reason from that ep that Orion propulsion technology was ahead of the contemporary UFP tech.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Eehh....not nessesarily. The Enterprise may be just as capable of those kinds of speed if they intended to burn out the warp coils, and never get home.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Oh, at least. The Orion ship topped out at Warp 8 to 10, the Enterprise has hit Warp 14.1 before now (That Which Survives).
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Oh, at least. The Orion ship topped out at Warp 8 to 10, the Enterprise has hit Warp 14.1 before now (That Which Survives).
I forget - wasn't that speed the result of the alien :quantum: throwing the big-E through space?
as Bull offed Custer