SFDebris: Vox Sola

Enterprise
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

SFDebris: Vox Sola

Post by Nutso »

Chuck also uses this review to firmly establish that Phlox is a dick.
"Everyone knows tentacles and Japanese girls are natural enemies."
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SFDebris: Vox Sola

Post by Captain Seafort »

The story of seasons 1 and 2 of Enterprise - Phlox varies from incompetent to genocidal, and Reed is the only one on the ship who has a clue what he's doing.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Certainly is somewhat odd that the guy who usually suggests "blow it up" is the one spending all his time and energy on a solution of least required force while the Doctor is pretty much fine with letting the crew die a lingering death.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Lighthawk wrote:Certainly is somewhat odd that the guy who usually suggests "blow it up" is the one spending all his time and energy on a solution of least required force
That solution, however, allowed him to show off his new toy.
the Doctor is pretty much fine with letting the crew die a lingering death.
Far from unusual for Phlox, as Chuck ably pointed out.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It's really amazing that Reed was just the weapons officer. Someone that competent should have been in command, instead he spent most of his time trying to keep the crew's idiotic decisions from killing them all.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

When I watched ENT first time round, I hated him. Seemed like a token brit, moody and pessimistic all the time. But, second time round, it's clear he had plenty of reason.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Reliant121 wrote:When I watched ENT first time round, I hated him. Seemed like a token brit, moody and pessimistic all the time. But, second time round, it's clear he had plenty of reason.
He was a competent and resourceful naval officer. The kind of creative yet by-the-book guy you would actually EXPECT on Earth's flagship, as opposed to Tucker. That does not make him a pleasant man. I have to admit I somewhat associate him with Cnl Tigh, but with less flask and more class. (Tigh was an interesting mix of screwup and competent)

I can't remember a time Reed happened to be incompetent, except when he felt subpar compared to the MACO.
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Tyyr wrote:It's really amazing that Reed was just the weapons officer. Someone that competent should have been in command, instead he spent most of his time trying to keep the crew's idiotic decisions from killing them all.
I thought everyone knew that competence is discouraged in Starfleet.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:He was a competent and resourceful naval officer. The kind of creative yet by-the-book guy you would actually EXPECT on Earth's flagship, as opposed to Tucker. That does not make him a pleasant man. I have to admit I somewhat associate him with Cnl Tigh, but with less flask and more class. (Tigh was an interesting mix of screwup and competent)

I can't remember a time Reed happened to be incompetent, except when he felt subpar compared to the MACO.
That's actually a very on the ball read of him I think. In the MACO case it wasn't really incompetence just that Reed was focused on starship protection where as the MACO's were ground troops. I'd expect the marines to out marine the naval gunnery officer.

I'll be the first to admit that a bridge full of Reeds might have been on the boring side, but the ship of fools thing is getting old.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Tyyr wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:He was a competent and resourceful naval officer. The kind of creative yet by-the-book guy you would actually EXPECT on Earth's flagship, as opposed to Tucker. That does not make him a pleasant man. I have to admit I somewhat associate him with Cnl Tigh, but with less flask and more class. (Tigh was an interesting mix of screwup and competent)

That's actually a very on the ball read of him I think. In the MACO case it wasn't really incompetence just that Reed was focused on starship protection where as the MACO's were ground troops. I'd expect the marines to out marine the naval gunnery officer.

I'll be the first to admit that a bridge full of Reeds might have been on the boring side, but the ship of fools thing is getting old.
*sigh* Reed was a very interesting character, one that you could actually admire while he was doing his job, it's just so sad they never really exploited him like they exploited every elements on DS9's cast properly. The only thing they could do with him was anxiety issues, finding that he likes pineapple and stucking him with one of the most polarising DS9 story element (although he really 1-uped them during Terra Prime arc, using them rather than the other way around)

What I'd like to see is a Star Trek serie with as depth and "seriousness" as nBSG. Have people die, with consequence. Show that the senior staff isn't the only competent members on board. Have them at least acknowledge and behave like they are in a military structure. You don't need to go as grim/militaristic as nBSG, but I am sure you could add a healthy spoonful.