SFDebris: Regeneration

Enterprise
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: Regeneration

Post by Captain Seafort »

YouTube

A decent review of a pretty decent episode by Enterprise standards. The one serious hole I can find in the review is the effectiveness of Archer and Reed's weapons. Chuck missed the fact that Reed had been tinkering with them to increase the yield - one of the few good things about later Borg episodes is that adaptation went from magic no-limits immunity to something that could be overcome to an extent by BF&BI.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: SFDebris: Regeneration

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Nice review. I wasn't expecting an 8 though considering a lot of places (including this site) hated the episode.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think 8 was a fair score, I would have gone with a 7. To me the big miss was how the Borg Drones came back to life. They really should have found some way around that.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Nice review. I wasn't expecting an 8 though considering a lot of places (including this site) hated the episode.
Chuck usually is looking at how good the episode is TV wise. Most of the problems with that episode is the continuity rape that it represents.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Moreover, all the ratings are relative to that series, and by Enterprise standards Regeneration was pretty good.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

As I recall my own take on it was along the lines of "this is a great episode... that should never have been made."

They did a great job making the episode, but Borg in Enterprise : it's a fatal flaw that they never recover from.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

If they had done the episode, and killed off two or more of the main characters in the process, that would have made it better. The Borg are a major threat, let's make them show just how dangerous they are. The Borgified vessel just ignores Enterprise at first, as Enterprise is not a threat. When Enterprise is finally elevated to threat, the Borg turn around, and there is no backing down. The ship is badly damaged at the end, but they won.

Have the data stored outside Starfleet Headquarters (and the location gets hit later) so it explains why nobody in the future heard of it.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It's a good review and I think it got a deserved score. If you view it on its own and judge it by its own merits vs. the show as a whole it's a great episode. Continuity wise its just bullshit. It's a lot like the new Clone Wars cartoon. Taken on its own its a great Star Wars tale. Viewed in the context of the show though it's just continuity rape.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I think that comparison is a bit unfair to the Clone Wars - most of the continuity they're ripping up is C-canon, not G, and even Ashoka isn't too bad, given that I can't think of any point in RotS at which it would be natural to mention her.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Biggest continuity problem I have with Clone Wars is Anakin not being a complete douche. Its hard to reconcile his cartoon character with his movie one.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

With respect....I think you guys are nuts.

Regeneration destroyed the entire precept of what Enterprise was supposed to be. A 22nd century starship dealing with 22nd century problems.

The Borg posed a clear and present danger to the 24th century. Suddenly they are the baddie of the week two hundred years earlier. The most advanced weapons of the 24th century were partially effective, yet phase pistols are modified to overcome Borg adaptive shields, and phase cannons destroyed the modified Borg ship.

An awful episode IMO
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Pretty much everything you're saying are continuity issues and issues between Enterprise and other series. Taken alone as an Enterprise episode it's a pretty good one. It's just as a larger part of the franchise that the problems happen.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mark wrote:With respect....I think you guys are nuts.

Regeneration destroyed the entire precept of what Enterprise was supposed to be. A 22nd century starship dealing with 22nd century problems.

The Borg posed a clear and present danger to the 24th century. Suddenly they are the baddie of the week two hundred years earlier. The most advanced weapons of the 24th century were partially effective, yet phase pistols are modified to overcome Borg adaptive shields, and phase cannons destroyed the modified Borg ship.

An awful episode IMO
I didn't have a problem with the weapons being effective. The Borg are virtually unique amongst Big Bads in that almost ANYTHING is effective against them... at first. In theory your average laser or plasma gun or whatever should be able to knock a few Borg out... until they adapt. I did a count and as I recall the Phase pistols were able to knock out about five drones apiece... that's on the high side but it's not inconceivable that the Borg would take that long to adapt to a weapon, I think. And the ship's main cannon and photonic torps were only used on two occasions, once to disable and once to destroy. It's as I said in my "how to fight the Borg" thread, it's not about having fancy super weapons, it's about making the most of the short window you get to use whatever weapon you have. Hell, at J25 when Picard knocked out the tractor beam he probably could have destroyed that whole cube if he'd just fired another half dozen shots at it. His Starfleet "minimum force" ethos was dead wrong for what he was facing, but he didn't know it at the time.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

GrahamKennedy wrote:...Hell, at J25 when Picard knocked out the tractor beam he probably could have destroyed that whole cube if he'd just fired another half dozen shots at it. His Starfleet "minimum force" ethos was dead wrong for what he was facing, but he didn't know it at the time.
I've always thought that exact thing myself. If he'd really known what they were up against, he might have taken more drastic action.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

One thing that I always wondered about. The E-Ds phasers were highly effective against the cube till they adapted. But the photon torps never even made the slightest scratch. It seemed they adapted against them before they were ever fired.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.