Dr. Phlox

Enterprise
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Dr. Phlox

Post by Sanehouse »

Enterprise is one of my favorite Star Trek series, yet there's one thing that's always mystified me. Dr. Phlox. Specifically, how many times he makes errors in judgment. Enterprise was only four seasons long, and yet I've seen too many cases of Dr. Phlox saying "X patient is going to be just fine", only to see them dead at the end of the episode. I don't think I've seen any of the other doctors make errors like that, combined (TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY).

Why do you think that is?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Dr. Phlox

Post by Reliant121 »

Who knows how qualified he is in treating humans? He was quite competent when treating T'Pol, but I doubt he is the greatest physician for human physiology.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Humans are relatively new to the stage by the time of ENT, so it's possible that Phlox wasn't fully trained in their treatment. I'd imagine that his apointment on the NX was based more on politics than his actual skill with humans. It would certainly be a nice gesture of trust to have a member of your own race apointed as the only doctor on Earth's first long-range exploration vessel.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And it let the redshirts know just how much Starfleet cared about their well being.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

"So, did you see the ship's Doc?"
"No. What's he like?"
"Well, let's just say that you won't want him to have to remove your apendix."
"Why not?"
"Because Steve went in there yesterday to get his tonsils removed. He came out missing his liver."
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by lcpl seilicki »

:)
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

So Phlox is...

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

"Now open your mouth and lets have a look at that brain... no, no, not that mouth. "
"I only have one."
"Really?"
"Uh... is there a human doctor around?"
"Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!"
"Uh... brglgrglgrglgrrr!"
"What? My mother was a saint! Get out!"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Humans are relatively new to the stage by the time of ENT, so it's possible that Phlox wasn't fully trained in their treatment. I'd imagine that his apointment on the NX was based more on politics than his actual skill with humans. It would certainly be a nice gesture of trust to have a member of your own race apointed as the only doctor on Earth's first long-range exploration vessel.
I got the general impression that it was Archer who had Phlox come on board. He first met him when Phlox was treating the Klingon. Said something to him in private and next thing we know he's onboard Enterprise unpacking. That and talking like the aliens from Galaxy Quest...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's possible that Archer asked for Phlox to tag along in case Klang the Klingon's condition deteriorated, then liked him enough to ask him to stick around for a while.

Personaly I don't mind Phlox. He's an odd character, but he's less 2-D than most of the ENT cast. Plus, he gave us to best line in the show:

T'Pol: "Mayweather is injured."
Phlox: "Who?"

On the other hand, he did convince Archer to effectively commit genocide and condemn an advanced species to a prolonged and probably painful death based on nothing more than his own warped view of evolution. Which is a pretty bad mark on his record in my book.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

T'Pol: "Mayweather is injured."
Phlox: "Who?"
:laughroll:

I loved Phlox. The fact he makes mistakes too makes him even better. He isn't in Starfleet, Earth or UFP. No Prime Directive.

That is actually one of the few things I did like about ENT was Phlox once in a while telling some of the crew about the strange and sometimes questionable actions of certain species. That is how they do things etc, etc. How we view them is just human nature etc.

To me it made it a bit more alien with near complete;y different values than humans.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

it has no sense to have an alien doctor (your only doctor) in a only human ship
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

What I liked about Phlox was when they had his wife turn up and she wanted to sleep with Tucker; Phlox thought it was a great idea. They'd mentioned about Denobulan group marriages before, but to see people actually living in such a truly different way was pretty cool.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It's always interesting to have aliens actually act alien. I think with Phlox they too often had alien = gross as part of a gag though.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:What I liked about Phlox was when they had his wife turn up and she wanted to sleep with Tucker; Phlox thought it was a great idea. They'd mentioned about Denobulan group marriages before, but to see people actually living in such a truly different way was pretty cool.
I always considered that to be a rather ham-handed attempt at pointing up how "alien-y" and different Phlox was. Personally, I didn't really need a reminder that Phlox wasn't human.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer