I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: NX-01 Series Five Refit

Post by stitch626 »

I can't see it either... :(
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

It's at Doug Drexler's site.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I can see it, and I don't think I've ever been to that site since I last cleared my cache.

What browser are you guys using?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

I looks nice. Wish they had started along those lines.
Genius insania et conseri manum
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The side view looks a bit off to me. But then again not many ships looks great from all angles.

I think even if they started from season 1 with this design, it would still look too 'modern' well at least for what some think would be 22nd century should be.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

McAvoy wrote:The side view looks a bit off to me...
Agreed. Still better than what we got, though.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

True. But I think it's basically a slap-on part which probably gives it that odd look.

I wonder how much internal working they would have to do for that anyway. I presume that engineering would be relocated in the new hull which means many conduits and other components would have to removed and relocated.

I do loike they were going to plate over the nacelles for a more TOS look too.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

A lot of it would be quite sensible, though.

For instance as it stands, the power transfer conduits of the NX slope diagonally up and out until they hit the struts, then turn and go straight down the struts, then turn again and go diagonally up the pylons to the nacelles.

In the refitted version they would have to come out of the core pretty much sideways, then slope diagonally up to the nacelles in one straight line - actually looking at the diagram there might be a slight kink along the way, but it's at least mostly straight. You've taken out two 90 degree turns, and surely that has to improve the plasma flow and give some kind of efficiency improvement.

The core is also in a module, making it FAR easier to dump it as needed, and far easier to replace it as upgrades become available - and with a brand new and revolutionary design like this, surely major upgrades come frequently.

Looks like they've removed the "bomb bay" hangar doors and installed rear-facing doors, too. That seems inherently safer to me, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they gained space for extra shuttles in the conversion.

All in all, a very worthy rebuild.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

In a Trek ship I don't see any safety issues with the bomb-bay style. You've got to match relative motion with the NX regardless of how you approach. From there you maneuver into the bay. Which given their sensor technology and ability to move in 3 dimensions is relative child's play. The real issue is that in the original style bay you couldn't mount much on the floor. You lose floor space for storage and flexibility as opposed to the horizontal entrance where one wall is just not used. If they were in zero G no big deal but when you've got a definite DOWN orientation on the ship it becomes a pain.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, with the rear-facing doors a shuttle pilot could see directly where he was going. That alone offers an advantage.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah but the pilot can also look up. The pilot sat in a bubble that didn't impede upward vision as far as I could tell.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:Yeah but the pilot can also look up.
The doors also opened down.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tyyr wrote:Yeah but the pilot can also look up. The pilot sat in a bubble that didn't impede upward vision as far as I could tell.
Fair point. I can't quite recall how the cockpit of the shuttles looked.

Though in that case, a rear-facing door would at least be more comfortable, as you wouldn't have to crane your neck back to look.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I think it's a more natural orientation given the way the Federation operates but there's no real reason not to use ventral doors if that's your only option.