Why I think Enterprise was the best Star Trek series ever

Enterprise
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Why I think Enterprise was the best Star Trek series ever

Post by I Am Spartacus »

From Broken Bow right through to These Are The Voyages, Enterprise rekindled my interest in Trek. I'll be honest, after Voyager, I really had lost interest in the franchise completely (as a side note Janeway is the first female captain in Star Trek history, and she gets lost on her first mission. Coincidence?). But after Enterprise started airing, my interest was wholly reinvigorated.

It was such an exciting series, and so full of action and intrigue. Trip, Reed, and Archer formed the strongest trio of actors I've ever seen (and without hordes of slashfic being written about them). Hoshi gave us the first well-rounded female Asian trek character ever, and we finally got to see Vulcans as the bastards we all really knew they always were. Always trying to get up in our shit and stop us humans from achieving warp flight. I loved how Archer consistently gave them the finger. Every time he told them to take their logic and shove it, I got a massive erection. I even found myself secretly hoping that the Federation would start by using chemical weapons on Vulcan, just to show them who's boss.

The best part of the series was the decontamination booth/thingy. It's not about naked bodies, it just makes sense! After Apollo 11 the astronauts had to spend weeks in quarantine, and these crew are visiting new and alien planets all the time! Of course they'd have to decontaminate. The bad part about the scene is how they didn't have to remove their underwear. Come on. That's just unrealistic. Those clothes could be contaminated just as much as their coats and pants. They could just install a black bar machine (like the one they had in that episode of Futurama).

The most common complaint I ever heard about Enterprise was that it didn't follow Star Trek continuity. Who cares that much about continuity anyways? What is continuity? Nobody knows. Nobody cares. So they use phase pistols and the ship looks more like a 24th century starship than the first Enterprise ever. Do you honestly care about any of that? When I watch a TV show, I want to see compelling characters, plots, and interesting universes. I really don't give a toss if a minor character says something contradicted by someone forty years ago in a series that made Adam West's Batman look dark and edgy. Enterprise gave us everything that we wanted in a sci-fi series, without being weighed down by some BS from another century. And that's the show's greatest strength, and why Brannon Braga and Rick Berman should be recognized as the geniuses that they are: they refused to allow their creative intelligence and wisdom to be weighed down by obsolete bric-a-brac from the sixties. Or hell, even the 80s. No, they lived in the here and now, and made a show for the here and now.

That's why I love Enterprise, and why you should too.

Oh, and the Captain didn't have a speech impediment or male-pattern baldness.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Why I think Enterprise was the best Star Trek series ever

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Okay, I actually believed you up until the "Berman and Braga are geniuses" part.

Bravo. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, man. I had my flamethrower fueled up and ready to go, now I won't get a chance to use it. :lol:

Personaly, I twigged it at
Every time he told them to take their logic and shove it, I got a massive erection.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

See, I actually shrugged that off; some fans really are that weird. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Well, if you missed that red flag, there was this:
The best part of the series was the decontamination booth/thingy. It's not about naked bodies, it just makes sense!
:lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I wonder if he knows that Janeway wasn't the first female captain, Rachel Garrett was, and after that I didn't care about the rest, it was quite funny though, thank you for that Sparticus, as that was the best laugh I had in a while. :lol:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Now wait till he comes back and says he was serious.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Nickswitz wrote:I wonder if he knows that Janeway wasn't the first female captain, Rachel Garrett was, and after that I didn't care about the rest, it was quite funny though, thank you for that Sparticus, as that was the best laugh I had in a while. :lol:
Actually it was the CO of the Saratoga in STIV.

Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

:lol:

that was pretty good.
I Am Spartacus wrote:The best part of the series was the decontamination booth/thingy. It's not about naked bodies, it just makes sense!
I Am Spartacus wrote:The bad part about the scene is how they didn't have to remove their underwear. Come on. That's just unrealistic.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Well, he's right. It was unrealistic. Germs and such can get under that bit of clothing too.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

stitch626 wrote:Well, he's right. It was unrealistic. Germs and such can get under that bit of clothing too.
Yeah he is right but decontamination is usually accomplished by showers not rubbing lotion on each other.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Nickswitz wrote:I wonder if he knows that Janeway wasn't the first female captain, Rachel Garrett was, and after that I didn't care about the rest, it was quite funny though, thank you for that Sparticus, as that was the best laugh I had in a while. :lol:

Actually that unnamed black lady was the first female Captain, in ST IV 8)

Edit: And then I see Kendall beat me to it :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Well, he's right. It was unrealistic. Germs and such can get under that bit of clothing too.
Yeah he is right but decontamination is usually accomplished by showers not rubbing lotion on each other.
What do you have against the practice of sexy medicine?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Black Jesus wrote: What do you have against the practice of sexy medicine?
What do you have against sexy showers? They'd have to be actually naked. :wink:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Black Jesus wrote: What do you have against the practice of sexy medicine?
What do you have against sexy showers? They'd have to be actually naked. :wink:
I was thinking the same thing. :lol: