What would YOU do to make Enterprise?

Enterprise
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: What would YOU do to make Enterprise?

Post by stitch626 »

I do wonder, is it known as the French-Indian war outside of the US?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

No, they only call it the Seven Years' War. The "French and Indian" part just refers to the fighting that happened in North America (from a US-centric perspective), but the war was actually a global conflict that took place in Europe and India as well as North America, and it involved other countries such as Prussia and Austria.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:There's a difference between that and an Alliance between powers.
Right... that's why I mentioned is another alternative... :poke:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Lazar wrote:it involved other countries such as Prussia and Austria.
It didn't just "involve" Prussia and Austria - Prussia was the root cause of the war, mainly through Frederick the Great trying to turn what had been a minor German state into a European power. Indeed, to an extent the Seven Years War was just the War of the Austrian Succession Part II - Frederick had managed to hold on to Silesia then, but the Austrians wanted it back, and managed to rope the French and Russians into helping. Everything else, including the obligatory Anglo-French bust-up, was effectively tagged onto that.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Ah got it. Now I wonder why they spoke of them as two different wars in my history text in 9th grade...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Because we were fighting the French and Indians long before then. So, they were more like a series of wars for the colonies where the Seven Years War was the big world deal. For the colonies it was just a long running conflict.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Ah ok. Now I remember why I hated history.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:Ah ok. Now I remember why I hated history.
I just never liked the fact that we didn't get to hear what some of ours are called overseas.

Like, what we call the Vietnam War, the Viets call the "American War", and what we called the Revolutionary War, the British call, "That bothersome incident with the colonies."
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Lazar wrote:it involved other countries such as Prussia and Austria.
It didn't just "involve" Prussia and Austria - Prussia was the root cause of the war, mainly through Frederick the Great trying to turn what had been a minor German state into a European power. Indeed, to an extent the Seven Years War was just the War of the Austrian Succession Part II - Frederick had managed to hold on to Silesia then, but the Austrians wanted it back, and managed to rope the French and Russians into helping. Everything else, including the obligatory Anglo-French bust-up, was effectively tagged onto that.
Wasn't it also the War of Jenkin's Ear amongst other things?
And which one was the 2nd (or was it 3rd?) Revolt of the Jacobites?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Apparently it was also the Third Silesian War for Germany, and the Third Karnatic War for India, and La Guerre de la Conquête for Quebec. :P
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I always thought of it as the first true World War.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

me,myself and I wrote:Wasn't it also the War of Jenkin's Ear amongst other things?
The War of Jenkin's Ear was a separate one, although it merged it the War of the Austrian Succession after Frederick invaded Silesia and drew the Austrians and French in.
And which one was the 2nd (or was it 3rd?) Revolt of the Jacobites?
The '45 was, again, part of the War of the Austrian Succession.
Deepcrush wrote:So, they were more like a series of wars for the colonies where the Seven Years War was the big world deal. For the colonies it was just a long running conflict.
Not quite. Up until the Seven Years War the squabbles with the French and the locals were just that - local bust-ups between French and British colonials that the governments in Paris and London did their best to pretend weren't happening, to avoid kicking off anything bigger. The Seven Years War was an official war, in which both sides tried to kick each other off the continent. We largely succeeded thanks to Wolfe, they didn't.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Not quite. Up until the Seven Years War the squabbles with the French and the locals were just that - local bust-ups between French and British colonials that the governments in Paris and London did their best to pretend weren't happening, to avoid kicking off anything bigger. The Seven Years War was an official war, in which both sides tried to kick each other off the continent. We largely succeeded thanks to Wolfe, they didn't.
Yes quite. Up till then there were wars. Small by the standards of Europe but when an Indian Nation declares war. It still gets nasty and a lot of people still die.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I kinda like the idea of a sleeper ship, but there was a line in TOS Space Seed about sleeper ships being obsolete in the early 21st century. And besides, it would be pretty bad for the plot having to bring the episode to a crashing halt for the "crew wakes up scene" all the time. I think it would end up like the GCS saucer separation - a nice idea in theory, but they soon realised that it took up screen time without helping the plot so they just made up excuses for why they weren't doing it all the time instead.

I like the idea of doing two years to a season, though. It's simple as hell, all you have to do is be careful with the dialogue when you refer to how long ago stuff happened; no major changes to the show, but you accomodate a much slower ship nicely.

I do think the NX is too big. The NX saucer is almost the same size as the Connie one. Admittedly there's no engineering hull, but still. They should have been significantly smaller, and much more cramped. No captain's ready room for one - even the Connies never had that. All but senior officers two to a room, enlisted crew in barracks.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

They should have included hot bunking as well. That could have played nicely into the cramped lifestyle and led to some interesting character development points as well.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.