The Romulan War

Enterprise
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The Romulan War

Post by Mark »

My timeline is a little screwey I'll freely admit. But was the Romulan War supposed to have occured during the "missing years" of Enterprise? Or after? And if the Romulans had the kind of tech advantage we saw in Enterprise, how did Earth not get conqured? We almost would have needed some help from the Vulcans, Andorians, and Tellerites, wouldn't we?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Romulan War

Post by KuvahMagh »

Pretty sure it was supposed to be in the missing years since what we appear to be seeing, or rather not seeing is the founding of the Fed. Generally accepted fanon is that the War would lead to the UFP but this has not been established in Canon.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

The usually accepted date for the start of the romulan war is 4 years before the formation of the federation in 2161. Had Enteprise gone a full seven seasons they would've ended during the first year of the war, I think. Of course I'm not sure how canon those dates are.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

From what I understand had Coto of been given a 5th season he would have skipped ahead, similar to crap BSG, to show the War, at least the start of it or some such.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Not sure how I would feel about that. It would seem like they are just rehasing the latter DS9 seasons.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:And if the Romulans had the kind of tech advantage we saw in Enterprise, how did Earth not get conqured?
That advantage may not be as great as you'd think. Sure, there was the cloak, but going by TOS:Balance of Terror, we had a big edge in power generation and torpedo tech. I'd call the "chameleon" ship and the remote piloting technology one-offs - if they turned out to be practical, they would have been seen from the Romulans later.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think ENT screwed up any possibilty of the Romulan war in two ways.

For one Humanity was just two weak. We have way to few ships to do anything and our tech level is to low. There was not a single space power around in ENT which humanity could have taken on in a space war.

Secondly the Romulans were to strong, far to strong, stronger than they were in TOS. They could have destroyed Earth with out us even knowing what the hell happened.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I wish they had shown the Romulan war, to tie up the loose ends, like the guys in romulan uniforms on Vulcan, and maybe an expilination for the drone ship. My thought is one-offs due to the Temporal Cold War. It would explain all the Romulan inconsistancys.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I heard talk after ENT was cancelled that they planned to do the war in a straight to DVD 3 movie thing with Coto as Producer. Dont know what happened to the idea.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Would have been interesting to see Coto's take on the war. As long as B&B kept their hands off it it had some hope of being fairly good.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Even with Coto I dont know how could it could have been unless they ignored most of ENT.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos is right (ow!) - Earth was presented in far too primitive a light to later portray as victors of the Earth-Romulan War. Another, more subtle, ignorance of the franchise exhibited by B&B.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

In reality, we would have (by ENT) had to rely on others untill we could get at least half decent production capability and until we developed the Daedalus.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I'd like to point out that we didn't see that much in terms of combat ability from the Romulans. The two modified "warbird" drone ships and the ship in the minefield, and we don't know the Romulan production capabilitys, or even have an indication of how intense the war even was.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

No, but we know they had tech capabilities that Earth didn't; and we know that Earth's individual ship capabilities and production capability sucked a** (according to ENT.)
as Bull offed Custer