The Romulan War

Enterprise
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Re: The Romulan War

Post by Granitehewer »

lol! i would have liked the cardies to have had some slight diversity but i suppose their rigid authoritarianism would have suppressed that.
Even the rommies in the new movie apparently have multiple dialects
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I think it would be a tremendous task to try to replicate the level of diversity found on Earth, but I think you could maybe try to get at least the level of cultural and linguistic diversity on one of our continents - e.g. Africa, or the pre-contact Americas. I might be able to buy the idea of the Romulans all speaking one language (with dialects) because of their pioneer history, but the older worlds should definitely have multiple languages.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Mikey wrote:That would make sense; however, the war has been referred to as "The Earth-Romulan War," not the "Alliance-Romulan War," or the "Quadrant War," or anything like that. It would follow that Earth was the vastly major, if not only, player on its side.
Forgive the 10 month old response but the French-Indian War wasn't just with the French and the Indians and they didn't even fight each other :P Just because it was the Earth-Romulan War doesn't mean that it was only between Earth and Romulus.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

KuvahMagh wrote:Honestly, the way I see it is this.

The Romulans were involved in another conflict, what scale or nature this may be is a mystery, with another nearby race, say the Klingons for arguments sake. Then they manage to tick off Earth, maybe they attack an Earth Convoy without warning and the situation deteriorates into a small scale War, maybe they cut off an Earther's ear and when the tale was told Earth rallied around him and forced the government to declare war even though they had no real hope of victory. Anyways, so the Romulans find themselves fighting on 2 fronts as it were, they do it for a while but eventually the 2 conflicts at once start to wear them down and they offer a peace deal that is too good to be rejected, Earth gets security while giving up little since of the two they were the minor power while the Romulans get out of fighting a 2 front war.

Its entirely possible that the Romulans managed to tick off another race, such as the Klingons, through their subversive tactics.
I like this theory. Similar to the War of 1812. The British were pretty heavily occupied with that tiny French thing going on in Europe still.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Monroe wrote:
KuvahMagh wrote:Honestly, the way I see it is this.

The Romulans were involved in another conflict, what scale or nature this may be is a mystery, with another nearby race, say the Klingons for arguments sake. Then they manage to tick off Earth, maybe they attack an Earth Convoy without warning and the situation deteriorates into a small scale War, maybe they cut off an Earther's ear and when the tale was told Earth rallied around him and forced the government to declare war even though they had no real hope of victory. Anyways, so the Romulans find themselves fighting on 2 fronts as it were, they do it for a while but eventually the 2 conflicts at once start to wear them down and they offer a peace deal that is too good to be rejected, Earth gets security while giving up little since of the two they were the minor power while the Romulans get out of fighting a 2 front war.

Its entirely possible that the Romulans managed to tick off another race, such as the Klingons, through their subversive tactics.
I like this theory. Similar to the War of 1812. The British were pretty heavily occupied with that tiny French thing going on in Europe still.
:lol: Napoleon :france: tiny French thing :laughroll: . Sorry, silly mood over! This would show that while Earth may not be able to best that bully two blocks over it is capable of talking him down. That coupled with the Vulcan Andorian unpleasantness being resolved by little old Earth means that the local powers could see Earth as the unifying force. Alliance makes more sense and our little buddy here can organize it.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Monroe wrote:
Mikey wrote:That would make sense; however, the war has been referred to as "The Earth-Romulan War," not the "Alliance-Romulan War," or the "Quadrant War," or anything like that. It would follow that Earth was the vastly major, if not only, player on its side.
Forgive the 10 month old response but the French-Indian War wasn't just with the French and the Indians and they didn't even fight each other :P Just because it was the Earth-Romulan War doesn't mean that it was only between Earth and Romulus.
Really? I thought the French and Indian War was between the French and the Indians.

No, I'm kidding. That example has been brought up before, and it turns out to be a bad analogy. The French and Indian War is only called that by Americans - i.e., the people who fought against the French and Indians. If that analogy were to hold up, then humans wouldn't be referring to the "Earth-Romulan War;" they'd just call it the "Romulan War."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah I know. Normally it was called the Seven Years war. But the point is still valid. Sometimes the names of Wars don't always depict who all is involved.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I still can't think of any war at all in which the naming convention used by a participant includes that participant. Inside the US, we don't call the Civil War "the American Civil War," or the Viet Nam "war" the "US-Viet Nam War."
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Mikey wrote:I still can't think of any war at all in which the naming convention used by a participant includes that participant. Inside the US, we don't call the Civil War "the American Civil War," or the Viet Nam "war" the "US-Viet Nam War."
But we usually call it the Mexican-American War. ;)

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

OK, there's one. Why is that, I wonder.

Now that I'm thinking of it, there was also the Spanish-American War.

OK, never mind.
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

And then there's the Korean War, which involved pretty much everyone, just it was fought mostly in Korea.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Now that I'm thinking of it, there was also the Spanish-American War.
The war fought between the Empire of Spain and the United States? Seems to fit.
stitch626 wrote:And then there's the Korean War, which involved pretty much everyone, just it was fought mostly in Korea.
That war was named for where it was fought... ie Korea.
Monroe wrote:But we usually call it the Mexican-American War.
Was between Mexico and the US.

There are some fair ideas out there but as it all still stands. The Earth-Romulan War was between Earth and the Romulans. I'm not sure why people are having a hard time with this?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

You're missing the point why it was brought up. Someone said that usually wars don't mention the people retelling the story in the war title. But our examples prove they do.

The Earth-Romulan War doesn't have to just be between Earth and Romulus just like the French-Indian War wasn't between the French and the Indians.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Ummm, the French-Indian War was what the colonies called the 7 Years War. One, because it lasted a shit load longer then 7 years. Two, because that's who they were fighting against. By your reason then it was Earth-Romulan War because Earth and Romulas teamed up against Vulcan... No.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Deepcrush wrote:Ummm, the French-Indian War was what the colonies called the 7 Years War. One, because it lasted a s**t load longer then 7 years. Two, because that's who they were fighting against. By your reason then it was Earth-Romulan War because Earth and Romulas teamed up against Vulcan... No.
You're missing the point :P The point is that the names of wars aren't always completely accurate of the participants.

-Remain Star Trek-