The Romulan War

Enterprise
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Romulan War

Post by Deepcrush »

The point of this is whether or not the Earth-Romulan War is a fitting title. IE, the thread title.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Deepcrush wrote:The point of this is whether or not the Earth-Romulan War is a fitting title. IE, the thread title.
And I'm saying that not all wars' titles include all the participants. Yes it probably was just between Earth and Romulus but the writers wouldn't have to feel like that's the only way.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They wouldn't have too... seeing how they seem to treat canon. But still, they should since what we do know comes straight from Spock. Unless wants to prove him wrong, which would be hard since no one on the bridge ever corrected him on the subject.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Ok....here's an hypothesis. The Romulans see that it is Earth that has banded the Vulcans, Andorians, and Tellerites together for the first time overcoming decades of mutual animosity. Earth is the greatest potential threat, and when season five WOULD have started, still pretty weak. Earth's closest allies the Vulcans are torn apart due to their civil turmoil. The Tellerites don't trust humans enough to get directly involved, and the Andorians are divided on the issue.

The Romulans attack!!!

Earth is technologically inferior to the Romulans at this point and begins reeling under the assault, giving ground and suffering heavy losses. The Vulcans, Andorians, and finally the Tellerites lend some token support TO Earth in the way of a FEW ships and technical advisers, just enough to slow the Romulans down while Earth plots a counter move. In true Starfleet fashion we find necessity is the mother of invention, thus provoking Starfleets HUGE leap forward, allowing them to battle the Romulans to a stalemate, thus proving to the other powers that Humanity has finally "grown up".
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

It's possible. However, ENT ruined the Earth Fleet for the war.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Deepcrush wrote:It's possible. However, ENT ruined the Earth Fleet for the war.
Just Earth?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Not necessarily..............at the time of the attack Earth only HAS two NX class ships and a handful of "Neptune" class as well. I think that could have likely been the only explanation.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Then lets hope that the RSE only has a handful of ships otherwise they'd destroyed Earth before anyone could get involved.
Last edited by Deepcrush on Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I don't see them has having a lot of POWERFUL ships, do you? At least not at THIS point in time. I'd GUESS a roughly even number or SLIGHTLY larger number than Earth (with ships ranging from on par with the Neptune Class to superior to the NX class)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Since both sides were busy launching nukes at each other... I wouldn't put much worry into either fleet. Whoever turns out the most ships would win. Since it ended stalemate, I'd guess that neither could out do the other.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm more inclined to believe neither had enough left to finish up the job, if you know what I mean. Attrition in a war is a real bitch, and something few people ever think about. I'm thinking they negotiated the neutral zone because neither side could muster a large enough force to finish it, and they would keep whittling each other away until neither side had anything left.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Isn't that what I said?

Totally agreed. They bled each other out and then just threw up their hands yelling "screw this bullshit, lets talk."
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Mainly because they left without ships? it works for me.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Not that they didn't have any ships left..........just that they didn't have enough to fight threw the enemy's defenses and score a decisive victory.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

We've seen from ENT that high warp ships are (relatively) expensive and or difficult to produce. So, while you can build ships it takes a long time to get to where you're going to be fighting. You may in fact have to fight the same battles time after time because by the time you rebuild and launch your fleet, the enemy has done the same.