I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Enterprise J

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Mikey wrote:E-C FTW.
I agree, always loved the Ambassador-class.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I liked the original Ambassador design better, it worked much better as an intermediate between the Excelsior and Galaxy. Alas, Sternbach thought it would be too hard to build and insisted on a design that the modelmakers could handle more easily.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I liked the original Ambassador design better, it worked much better as an intermediate between the Excelsior and Galaxy. Alas, Sternbach thought it would be too hard to build and insisted on a design that the modelmakers could handle more easily.

I always thought it was more along the "design modelmakers could handle more easily on the time and budget they had."
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I liked the original Ambassador design better, it worked much better as an intermediate between the Excelsior and Galaxy. Alas, Sternbach thought it would be too hard to build and insisted on a design that the modelmakers could handle more easily.

Oooh, I do like that. She's beautiful.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Oooh, I do like that. She's beautiful.
i don't know... it appears too advanced to me (sorry...i like the canon Ambassador :roll: )
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

The magazine I got with the model from Eaglemoss has some interesting details on the J.

Universe-class
3,219 meters long

According to Doug Drexler, the guy who designed it, the fragile-looking nacelles and pylons were intentional. It was supposed to look ludicrous from our 21st-century perspective. In order to look truly futuristic, it had to "break the rules" and "seem impossible". The idea was that the ship was actually grown rather than constructed. In his own words: "Its elegant curves are based on the optimal shape to support itself with minimal amount of building material. Because structural members will be 'printed', we will be able to custom design every individual part to cater to gradient stress distribution. This will allow us to take advantage of fractal patterns in the construction of the Enterprise-J. Not only is this mathematically more advantageous than standard truss construction, but it will give the ship a heretofore never seen design ethic." Drexler also meant the Enterprise-J to be able to travel between galaxies by folding space.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

2 miles long. Probably has like a 1,000 crew on board too...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:54 pm 2 miles long. Probably has like a 1,000 crew on board too...
that is not that much, the Ent-D has more that that
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

bladela wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:58 pm
McAvoy wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:54 pm 2 miles long. Probably has like a 1,000 crew on board too...
that is not that much, the Ent-D has more that that
I know... :wink:
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

Custom printed parts and grown ships structures. If only we had something similar today... some sort of computer printing system that could make objects in three dimensions? We could call it a 3D printer and make parts for vehicles. :)
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Well, this was 2004 when the Enterprise-J was designed.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Varthikes wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:27 pm Well, this was 2004 when the Enterprise-J was designed.
I know. Lol, that’s why I brought it up because how amazing progress and ingenuity are. Every 15-20 years, science fiction Tech is still gradually becoming factual technology. I made a humorous statement of it but I really am in awe of things like this and how our society is adapting to it.

Eventually, we will be able to mass produce ships and equipment via Massive 3D printers.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Are there any more pictures of the 1701-J? The new books I got from amazon have several pictures of it in different positions. I was wondering if there are lots on the Main site? Been looking through but didn’t find it. Some assistance please.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

We haven't got a write-up on the E-J at the moment. There's not a whole lot of detail available.
email, ergo spam