BBC Reruns

Voyager
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BBC Reruns

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:I hadn't noticed that before, not being a meticulous student of Okudagrams, but you are absolutely correct. One would think efficiency and compression, rather than comfort and elbow room, would have been the priority for a ship of the Intrepid-class' intended role. Your suggestion would also have allowed the Delta Flyer actually fit within the hangar in which it was built.
IIRC, one of the issues with the Flyer was that it wouldn't have fitted through the hangar door. But then, Voyager's door was rather narrow compared to the space available.

You could widen that door by a good 30-40%, easily.

All in all, I'd far rather they had used the Aeroshuttle and not ever build the Flyer. Refit the Aeroshuttle with Borg tech if you must, though honestly the whole "Borg enhanced" thing never actually amounted to anything at all that I recall. And the Aeroshuttle is fricken cool.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Agreed 100%. I always got the distinct impression (though it may certainly be more my own bias than anything else) that "past" Janeway's surprise at Chakotay's mention of using Borg tech in VOY: "Shattered" was more of an expression of incredulousness at its usefulness than shock at surviving a partnership with the Borg.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think I figured another thing about VOY that was vaguely bothering me. The technobabble got too heavy on the "babble" and too light on the "techno." Whereas in TNG, any given technical explanation or engineering long-shot might be explained in terms so abstruse as to make one just remand it over to something that only 24th-c. engineers would understand; in VOY it just became a matter of even a moderately-educated layperson like myself being able to call BS. To wit: I just watched a rerun of the ep in which "Beowulf" came to life in the holodeck, but Grendel was actual a body of energy that performed mass-to-energy conversions on people who entered. Now, they kept throwing the term "photonic energy" around... but as we all know, the term "photon" simply means "a quantum of energy in the 'light' bit of the electromagnetic spectrum." So, it got to the point at which Torres said something about the "photonic energy" affecting some system or another, at which point I nearly hollered at the television that this must be some damned technological marvel of a ship if its major components could be shut down by shining a frigging flashlight at them. And normally, my yelling at the television is reserved for football games.
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:And normally, my yelling at the television is reserved for football games.
How 'bout them Jets?!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Mikey wrote:And normally, my yelling at the television is reserved for football games.
How 'bout them Jets?!
Mikey and I are both Giants fans. I am a secondary Jets fan. Unlike baseball where the Yankees and Mets fans hate each other, Jets and Giants fans get along.

Jets is a borderline dumpster fire.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, my opinion of the Jets generally hovers between "Oh, they still have a team?" and "Why in hell does Todd Bowles still have a job?" And as a Giants fan, I yell for different reasons - they could go 2 and 14, and as long as the two wins were against Dallas I'd call it a winning season. OTOH, they could go 14-2 and I'd be picking apart the special teams for why they lost 2 games.
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:Yeah, my opinion of the Jets generally hovers between "Oh, they still have a team?" and "Why in hell does Todd Bowles still have a job?" And as a Giants fan, I yell for different reasons - they could go 2 and 14, and as long as the two wins were against Dallas I'd call it a winning season. OTOH, they could go 14-2 and I'd be picking apart the special teams for why they lost 2 games.
My family are Pats fans, as we're all from CT/MA. I grew up a die hard Packers fan, but I absolutely fucking loathe the NFL for a variety of reasons, mostly due to the "We are the NFL, this is what you have to do on Sunday if you are a true American" attitude. Was happy to see the Pats win today, but mainly for my mom and to see Goodell eat a big steaming plate of deflated shit. I don't know why, but I thought I remembered you being a Jets fan. Apologies!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Nope, my dad's a Jets fan but I still love him. Me... well, I named my dog "Simms."
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I kinda like the 49er's, but that's mostly residue from when my sister lived here. She was a huge Joe Montana fan back in the day.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I kinda like the 49er's, but that's mostly residue from when my sister lived here. She was a huge Joe Montana fan back in the day.
It's hard not to like Joe Montana
you know, except for when the G-men beat him like he stole something on the way to winning Super Bowl XXI.
:happydevil:
as Bull offed Custer
Talondor
Master chief petty officer

Post by Talondor »

I've been here in San Diego almost 45 of my 47 years, so you probably know my feelings about pro football right now.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Oooh, sorry.
as Bull offed Custer
Talondor

Post by Talondor »

Mikey wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I kinda like the 49er's, but that's mostly residue from when my sister lived here. She was a huge Joe Montana fan back in the day.
you know, except for when the G-men beat him like he stole something on the way to winning Super Bowl XXI.
Got to agree with this. One of the classiest guys to ever play the game.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:
Ahh yes. The days of defense over offense.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It was mostly, but the play that still stands out in my mind from that playoff game against the 49ers was that jaw-dropping miracle catch that Stacy Robinson made on the right sideline to the San Fran 3 or 4 yard line in the 3rd.
as Bull offed Custer