BBC Reruns

Voyager
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: BBC Reruns

Post by Bryan Moore »

My mother's maiden name is Montana. My grandfather and great uncle always liked to tell people Joe Montana was their nephew and both ended up being huge Niner fans during the 80's. Turns out, one of my uncles named his kid Joe down the line, so I suppose I can say Joe Montana is my cousin.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Well, Jay Berwanger and Justin Edelman are my lantzmen...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Talondor
Master chief petty officer

Post by Talondor »

The series is at about mid-sixth season now, showing seven episodes every monday afternoon through early tuesday morning twice each. I record the seven episodes and find myself deleting one or two, sometimes even three each week after only one or two scenes. Sometimes I delete it just after reading the description. This series is just boring and I find myself just waiting to get to the end so I can see the big happy ending. Very few of the episodes really stand out as favorites that I will want to record and watch again like I do the TNG series also on BBC America. The real sad part is that Neelax has become almost a strictly useless background character ever since they left his home space.

This run I'm doing is probably the only time I'll ever watch any of them. I just hope they get DS9 soon.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Talondor wrote:The real sad part is that Neelax has become almost a strictly useless background character ever since they left his home space.
You've missed the second half of that sentence - "instead of being tossed out the airlock."
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The conundrum with Neelix is that he was - at least, he became - an awful character but played by an enjoyable actor.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I never quite got the Neelix hate. I didn't particularly like him myself, but he never really inspired any hate in me and I could never see why others piled on so much.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

His interactions with Tuvok sum it up. Forcing himself into any situation regardless of context.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

And routinely lying through his teeth from day one to get what he wanted.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:His interactions with Tuvok sum it up. Forcing himself into any situation regardless of context.
Yeah. His interactiuon with Tuvok was, IIRC, really bad.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Tuvok was just the most obvious, Nelix was like that to everyone though.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

He was at points also an emotionally abusive boyfriend.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Neelix: all of the above. That and apparently he is subjecting the crew to his bad cooking.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

And yet he grew during he series, he thought of others more, learn to trust people and say he didn't know, when he didn't know. He started off as a product of his environment. A scheming trickster, although not a very good one, who would do what was required to survive. When he came across the Federation he thought they were easy marks, naive and willing to put up with anything. As time passed he changed as did his view of the Federation and his view of the world and his behaviour.

Compare this with Harry Kim, school boy at the start, school boy at the end. Best summed up in the words of Douglas Adams as "Mostly Harmless".

He really came good to me in an episode called Jetrel. This is only episode 15, which is pretty early. It is almost completely centred around Neelix. It is, in my opinion, one of the best episodes Voyager ever made.
email, ergo spam
Talondor

Post by Talondor »

Finished the series from the DVR this past weekend, and I agree with the majority here. What could have been a really good concept was very poorly executed. Very few of the episodes really stood out as something I would record again to watch, even as background when I reading or something.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Talondor wrote:Finished the series from the DVR this past weekend, and I agree with the majority here. What could have been a really good concept was very poorly executed. Very few of the episodes really stood out as something I would record again to watch, even as background when I reading or something.
Yeah, that's a pretty good description - the re-watch factor is so negligible compared to TNG and DS9. Janeway's cuntishness didn't really help things, but at the end of the day, the producers just laid an egg with so much of what they did.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?