Happy Birthday Voyager!

Voyager
Admiral Dunsel
Petty officer third class

Happy Birthday Voyager!

Post by Admiral Dunsel »

20 years ago today,, Voyager set sail on her first mission.

Now I'm feeling old, real old.
" We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. " - Benjamin Franklin
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Happy Birthday Voyager!

Post by Teaos »

Finally a series launch I can remember.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Finally a series launch I can remember.
Finally, a series launch I wish I didn't remember.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Started out great...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Had a pretty good pilot episode, all in all. But the show went downhill really fast.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Twenty years ago....

Holy shit! Where does the time go?!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ha, I still remember watching the first episode of The Next Generation while I was at university. You had to get your seat in the student union TV room early, because by the time it came on that room was packed, including so many people sitting on the floor that you literally couldn't move two feet in any direction in there. Twenty seven years ago...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Ha, I still remember watching the first episode of The Next Generation while I was at university. You had to get your seat in the student union TV room early, because by the time it came on that room was packed, including so many people sitting on the floor that you literally couldn't move two feet in any direction in there. Twenty seven years ago...
I had a viewing party for the TNG premiere.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I remember TNG premiering but I was only 3 years old. My parents were first generation TOS fans when they were in high school so there was people who came over to watch the TNG premier.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Admiral Dunsel

Post by Admiral Dunsel »

I loved the whole premise of a Federation Starship suddenly finding themselves 'Lost in Space', now cut-off from all Federation resources, and struggling to make it home on their own.

And the series opening video sequence is still (IMHO) the most visually stunning of all of them, and the departure from using another "Space. The final frontier." speech during it, was appropriate and helped to add a sense of their isolation.

They're not trying "To boldly go where no man has gone before!". They are already there, and are now trying to achieve the opposite goal.

The series had problems. Name one that didn't. But overall, it was a positive impact on the collective Star Trek culture.

Big Party on Sept. 8, 2016. The 50th anniversary of the first airing of Star Trek (Graham buys!).
" We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. " - Benjamin Franklin
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

There seems to be a very dedicated fan base for Voyager over the other series.

Voyager had that premise and really didn't run with it as much as they should have or at least could have. Instead they went rather light on it.

There are topics written about this already.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It seems to fall along age lines... TOS was only a handful of years old when I was born, I was a movie-going-age boy when TMP came out, and I was a teenager when TNG premiered. This is anecdotal, of course, but I feel like people who were "there" for TOS, the initial movie run, or even TNG have a harder time overlooking the deficiencies in VOY. I think the premise was a valiant attempt to differentiate it from what had gone before, however.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Voyager had a fairly good premise despite what some people said about it being against the spirit of exploration to be running back home.

Infact I think they could have kept the general plots and ideas they did use (minus a few exceptions) and still have been a fantastic show, but they so often choose the weak or stupid option.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:It seems to fall along age lines... TOS was only a handful of years old when I was born, I was a movie-going-age boy when TMP came out, and I was a teenager when TNG premiered. This is anecdotal, of course, but I feel like people who were "there" for TOS, the initial movie run, or even TNG have a harder time overlooking the deficiencies in VOY. I think the premise was a valiant attempt to differentiate it from what had gone before, however.
Perhaps but I would be part of that age line that likes Voyager. I was ten years old when Voyager came out and I wasn't... educated enough to make a judgement on whether it was worse or better than TNG.

However I did see the flaws in Voyager at the time. I was one of those who thought Voyager should look like it's falling apart because of lack of resources. I did talk about that back in the 90's in the old Utopia Planitia forum.

Maybe I am an oddball.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah that is the one thing even I as a 7-10 year old noticed, the huge damage that was magicaally repaired, I remember loving "Year of hell" becuse it did keep damage.