SF Debris: Equinox

Voyager
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: SF Debris: Equinox

Post by Tyyr »

Equinox could have been one of the best episodes of Trek ever, but it was part of Voyager. That's the real disappointment of things like this and Year of Hell. You get glimmers of what could have been if everyone wasn't so incredibly incompetent on the show.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Nutso wrote:
Teaos wrote:It stupid they didnt use them, but I dont think they are that great of an idea.
You don't think the idea of two factions being forced to co-exist on a little ship for conceivably the rest of their lives is even a little intriguing?
I agree with Teaos, they were not an especially good idea. We already would have had an interesting premise, a federation ship stranded somewhere and what the crew is willing to do/sacrifice to go back. Will they uphold their high principles and accept the cost, are they paying only lipservice to them? Etc. etc.

There is already so much conflict potential just from the federation crew, as soon as the food is rationed, the showers don't work and the replicators are a luxory that ANOTHER source for conflict isn't really necessary. Force them to live like animals for a few weeks/months and noone would care if you are maquis or federation, there will be blood.

Considering the premise, adding the Maquis makes no sense whatsoever. Just think a second about this, what are the Maquis supposed to do? What could possibly be their end-goal in any scenario that has them fighting against the feds? I imagine they still need the majority of the people simply to run the ship. So suppose they take over. Now what? They are still stuck on the same vessel with the same people who are now just pissed off at them and will throw them in the brig the next chance they get. Sure, you could kill them all....but while terrorists, the Maquis didn't strike me as mass murdering criminals. Sure, they could leave them on the next class M planet. But they are still stuck on that damned ship, which now runs even less efficiently because they have at most a sceleton crew running things.

Considering the situation of the Voyager, both parties have not really anything to gain by conflict, in the end, when all is said and done, they would still be stuck on a boat on the way home, so them working together to make that journey as fast as possible makes sense. The amount of conflict from this situation I would expect is pretty much as we see on Voyager. Questioning and arguing orders, a bit bitching and moaning but deep down they probably know their best chance is sticking together with the feds. (They people who are supposed to be the professionals when it comes to running a starship.)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Atekimogus wrote:Chakotay...the maquis leader who conveniently has a starfleet degree......what are the odds?
Pretty good - most of the senior Maquis we saw were ex-Starfleet. It make sense, given that they'd be the ones with military training and experience.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I always felt there should be some conflict between the Starfleet and Maquis people, but it would also be tempered with "the person next to me is one of the only friendly faces within a quarter of the Milky Way Galaxy." Maybe by the middle of season two or so it'd be mostly background noise or friendly jabs at one another.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I agree even if the Marquis wanted to rebel, they know they need Starfleet and vice versa, from day one Janeway should of had to make big concessions to them. Maybe have Voyager damaged and needing parts from the Marquis ship to survive, Chakotay sells her the parts for the job of XO and Torres as Chief Engineer.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Teaos wrote:I agree even if the Marquis wanted to rebel, they know they need Starfleet and vice versa, from day one Janeway should of had to make big concessions to them. Maybe have Voyager damaged and needing parts from the Marquis ship to survive, Chakotay sells her the parts for the job of XO and Torres as Chief Engineer.
I don't know...should she? I mean Chakotay is fine, he has the training and all and seems a reasonable chap. But the rest of the Maquis? I mean contrary to what we see I suppose there is more to being in starfleet than waving a tricoder at things.

Despite them serving as crew on a small ship I would - realistically - expect them to be quite useless - at least initially - on the TOP OF THE LINE newest and most advanced starship the UFP has to offer, let alone entrusting Torres with the warp core.

What we should have seen is Neelix getting 5 underling-cooks, Tuvok getting 10 expendable redshirts etc. etc.

I mean when all is said and done, the crew of the Maquis ship is a huge drain on Voyagers ressources for little in return.....the big concession Janeway is making is not dumping them on the next planet but keeping them along for the ride.

@Captain Seafort.....good point, but then how big is the Maquis in the first place. Iirc we see four ex-starfleet Maquis, Chakotay, Ro Laren and Siskos pals, the name of which I forgot. There might be more or this might be it. Who knows? I had the impression that the Maquis is a rather large organisation, consisting of elements from multiple planets. Considering how the characters we see react to ex-starfleet maquis I always assumed those are very rare cases.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Atekimogus wrote:Considering how the characters we see react to ex-starfleet maquis I always assumed those are very rare cases.
They're rare, but they also tend to gravitate to the upper levels of the organisation, because they're the ones who know what they're doing.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.