Dark Frontier

Voyager
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Dark Frontier

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Just been to visit my oldest friend, and we decided to watch one of her Voyager DVD's. A few things about her:

- She is only a fan of Voyager, never having seen the other shows.
- She got into it after reading some Fan Fiction about Seven of Nine and Janeway.
- She only watches series 3 onwards as she loves the Borg, whereas I prefer the Borg pre-Voyager.

After much debate, we settled on Dark Frontier.

During the episode, after Seven is back with the Queen, and discussing why the Queen has spent considerable resources to bring Seven back to the Collective, the Queen states that Seven is the only Borg ever to regain their individuality.

I take it the writers, et al, forgot about Hugh and the other drones who regained their individuality from the Collective after interference from Picard and the Enterprise?

(A side note, what ever happened to all those Borg after Lore's capture? Were they all destroyed or left to fend for themselves?)

Also, how come the Hansen's were studying the Borg by at least the 2350's, despite Starfleet having no apparent knowledge of the Borg prior to Q's introduction to them?
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Dark Frontier

Post by Teaos »

They knew about the Borg from the El Auran (SP?) survivors we see in Generations.

The Hansens said they were working off rumors mostly.

I assume others had passed on reports about them, but no first hand evidence.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well that is Voyager in a nut shell. Borg episode that blatantly ignores previous episodes and makes no sense. Oh and it centers heavily on 7 of 9.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:Just been to visit my oldest friend, and we decided to watch one of her Voyager DVD's. A few things about her:

- She is only a fan of Voyager, never having seen the other shows.
- She got into it after reading some Fan Fiction about Seven of Nine and Janeway.
- She only watches series 3 onwards as she loves the Borg, whereas I prefer the Borg pre-Voyager.

After much debate, we settled on Dark Frontier.

During the episode, after Seven is back with the Queen, and discussing why the Queen has spent considerable resources to bring Seven back to the Collective, the Queen states that Seven is the only Borg ever to regain their individuality.

I take it the writers, et al, forgot about Hugh and the other drones who regained their individuality from the Collective after interference from Picard and the Enterprise?
According to Descent when Hugh returned to the collective, his individuality "infected" a whole ship and unbalanced all the drones, leaving them helpless until Lore moved in and took over. I took Dark Frontier to indicate that the collective never realised what had happened - so far as they knew they just lost contact and that was that.

Of course later on in Voyager we'd find that Seven and some other Drones were once separated from the collective and they regained their individuality, so there's that!
(A side note, what ever happened to all those Borg after Lore's capture? Were they all destroyed or left to fend for themselves?)
Left to fend for themselves, so far as I remember.
Also, how come the Hansen's were studying the Borg by at least the 2350's, despite Starfleet having no apparent knowledge of the Borg prior to Q's introduction to them?
Well it's gradually become apparent that Starfleet DID know about the Borg long before Q introduced them. Enterprise met them. The E-B rescued El-Aurian refugees. The Hansens heard of them.

Explanations for this range from "Section 31 kept hushing it all up" through to "Starfleet only heard unconfirmed stories and rumours". A lot of people think Starfleet viewed the Hansens going to investigate the Borg about like we would regard an expedition to locate the Loch Ness Monster or Bigfoot.

But truthfully the history of the Borg has been so messed about that it's beyond reason. It's one reason why I'm glad the Destiny trilogy ended that particular chapter of Trek.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

My own theory of pre-Q Who Borg knowledge is just unconfirmed reports of a powerful race of Boogey men. Starfleet has dealt with super powerful races before. So in the eyes of Starfleet, it was the idea of 'we will deal with them when we deal with them'. In other words, going to look for the Borg would be a waste of time and presumably survivors would tell them that Starfleet isn't ready yet.

Q jump started that eventual meeting as the way he sees it, the UFP was too comfortable in their little area of the galaxy.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"