SFDebris: Fair Haven

Voyager
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: SFDebris: Fair Haven

Post by kostmayer »

Would it have killed them to show Troi counselling the main characters about events / issues that arise in the show. Even if its just for 30 seconds before a communicator beeps and introduces the plot of the week. Picards assimilation, Geordies brainwashing, Rikers father issues - just a mention or two.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I always never liked period episodes in Trek where the plot revolves around a preindustrial human society.

Maybe the writers and some fans think it is fun or something. But I doubt it is any cheaper than a normal science fiction themed episode.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Generally the ratings are poor for these episodes, I think the exception is the one where the Hirogen take over the ship.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:Generally the ratings are poor for these episodes, I think the exception is the one where the Hirogen take over the ship.
That was a well televised two hour event if I remember correctly. So that may have drawn in more people.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That and the holodeck shenanigans tied back to a larger and more interesting story where as in Fair Haven the holodeck shenanigans are the story and no one is going to accuse it of being interesting.

People tune into Trek for sci-fi, not period pieces.