Sf Debris: Ashes to Ashes

Voyager
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Sf Debris: Ashes to Ashes

Post by Nutso »

http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-re ... ew-6589046

Holy shit. A dead crew member returns from the dead and catches up to Voyager even though she died 30000 light years back. And Harry Kim has always loved her?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Sf Debris: Ashes to Ashes

Post by McAvoy »

Forgettable episode too. I barely remember this once despite doing multiple Voyager marathons over the past twelve years since Voyager ended.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Oh, the one with the race of necromancers, right? How does that... how does that develop, even?!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Eh. I'm not sure if five is overgenerous, or if it's a demonstration of just how bad the average Voyager episode is.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

There's stupid shit, like an entire race who's reproduction is based off necromancy or them being able to run down Voyager casually after it had such a titanic head start. The ending is equally bad as she winds up leaving to go back with the necromancers which is just... bwah? Finally there's trying to shoehorn in what a dear friend she was of Harry's and a love interest even though this is the first we've ever seen or heard of her. It's a lot of really stupid shit, yet the story of the first two acts isn't all that bad. In TNG this would probably be a 3 but on Voyager I think 5 is fair. The good stuff in the first two acts can't overcome the ridiculousness of the premise and the really awful ending.

Though could we add necrophilia to Harry's fucked up sexuality?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I assume the reprodiction thing is a result of them messing with their genome to the point they cant reproduce naturally, also explains how their medical technology is advanced enough to raise the dead. They all you have to do is explain away cloning as a cultural taboo, much like we have now, and it almost, sorta works.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I have a much bigger problem with body snatching and forced cultural conversion than I do with cloning. Yeah, not an alien but still.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:I assume the reprodiction thing is a result of them messing with their genome to the point they cant reproduce naturally, also explains how their medical technology is advanced enough to raise the dead. They all you have to do is explain away cloning as a cultural taboo, much like we have now, and it almost, sorta works.
There must be a limit to how or when they can raise the dead because if they can raise the dead, no one would die and there would really be no need to get people from other worlds.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Degrading genome? Cultural taboo? Being blown up?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Cultural Taboo

"Raise our own dead? You monster! We only mind rape aliens and resurrect their decaying corpses!"