Starfleet size

Voyager
Talos
Senior chief petty officer

Re: Starfleet size

Post by Talos »

When Worf realised that Defiant's weapons where out of line and he had no other way to attack the cube he said:

"Perhaps today IS a good day to die... RAMMING SPEED!"

He used a Klingon motto before ordering the ramming and let's be reasonable who would you expect on ordering ramming speed more easily a fed or a Klingon?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Picard ordered a ramming and I think Kirk did to once. So I would say Federation.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Why would ramming be beyond the Klingons? I can very easily see them saying "fuck this, if I'm going down then I'm taking them with me".
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:Picard ordered a ramming and I think Kirk did to once. So I would say Federation.
Picard and Kirk are pretty extreme examples, though. Both of them are nuts. :wink:

Of course, the standard Klingon seems sort of cowardly, regardless of the bravado, and death-charges. They sure scheme a lot for a supposedly honorable people, an issue that was addressed in a number of episodes.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think going down guns blazing is more Klingon than ramming.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think a combination of both would be their style. Fighting to the last, and then, if necessary, slamming the ruined hulk of your ship into the enemy.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:I think a combination of both would be their style. Fighting to the last, and then, if necessary, slamming the ruined hulk of your ship into the enemy.
Exactly. :)

If you still have weapons and engines, keep fighting; if the weapons go, use the ship as a weapon.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Talos

Post by Talos »

I think I should have asked:
Who would you expect to order a ramming more easily and without remorce the average fed captain or the average klingon captain?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Federation. They do it more. Also Klingons fight for themselves thus dont look at the big picture. The feds fight for their community.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I disagree. Fed captains (in general) seem to be more concerned with niggling trifles like the lives of their crew.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Feds might be more likely to retreat.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Feds might be more likely to retreat.
No, no. That's the French. Don't let the Federation's proclaimed pacifism confuse you. :wink:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If the Feds have no other option they will ram as we have seen. The Klingons would rather fight to the last.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

No, no. That's the French. Don't let the Federation's proclaimed pacifism confuse you. :wink:
Ah, but Fed HQ is in France. Ergo, Fedration = French.
If the Feds have no other option they will ram as we have seen. The Klingons would rather fight to the last.
If the Klingons have no other option they would likely ram as well. What more honourable way could there be than defiantly slamming the sundered hulk of your own ship into the enemy in a final glorious show of defiance?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Going down guns blazing is far more heroic than ramming.