Starfleet size

Voyager
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Starfleet size

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

And, it was done in the interests of preserving peace, and lives
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:E-C, no hope of winning but went to battle anyways.
After a heck of a lot of convincing...
And, it was done in the interests of preserving peace, and lives
But they still did it didn't they? They did what they felt to be the right thing to do. Why they did it doesn't change that they did indeed do it.
Last edited by Deepcrush on Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:The USMC practices...
"No retreat and no surrender with Executive Order."
What century is that from? :roll:
This one, glad you understood the tense in that one... :roll:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The E-C didnt know it was going to die. It could have pulled through or hoped for back up.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Teaos wrote:The E-C didnt know it was going to die. It could have pulled through or hoped for back up.
Once it was sent back through the rift, they pretty much knew they were doomed.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Oh right. I thought we were refering to when they answered the original message.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

When they answered the Distress Call they didn't know the odds going in. Even when they got there and found out they decided to stick around.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They knew it was 4 to 1 odds before they engaged, so they pretty much knew they were screwed. And they didn't take all that much convincing actually; most of the argument in that episode was between the E-D crew about whether to let them go. Garrett decided to go back the instant Picard explained the situation to her, and her XO announced that he was going unless ordered otherwise as soon as he took command.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Thank you!

Starfleet has shown that when they feel something is the right thing to do, they tend to do it. Cost of the matter doesn't seem to matter much to them.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I admire it actually. These aren't Klingons who want to scream and charge at every chance they get. They're professionals who know that while they may need to die for the cause someday, it's a thing to do only when you have to.

And hey, Starfleet and the Federation has defeated all comers for over 200 years now. Hard to argue with success!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. Despite the apparent pussification of Starfleet in the TNG+ era, the people seem to remember that first and formost they are soldiers, and that there sometimes is a need for them to die for the greater good.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

The "engineering qualification" when Troi took the Bridge officer exam was, in fact, a test of whether she could order someone to their death...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Engineering Qualification was a carp shoot. Send a hologram to die, OMFG! Short of having my heart cut out with a spoon covered in salt just to see if it hurt, I don't think ever hate a test more.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

You would need holographic emitters in places like the antimatter injectors and warp plasma conduits, then. Or, the mobile emitter, which only the Doctor has. Robots could work, of course; Trek hasn't always used robots in situations where even we have them. :roll:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Federation has an automation phobia ever since the M-5.