Delta flyer status

Voyager
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Delta flyer status

Post by Teaos »

So I have just watched all of VOY and just started on DS9 and was thinking the Delta flyer really classes more as a tactical run about than a shuttle.

Shuttles, specifically the type 2 and short range, small, resource cheap, weak, slow, transports. The type 9 and others are slights more spacious and faster for the transport of people and materials. But still
Limited in use.

Runabouts almost class as a small independent spaceship with good sensors, accommodation, weapons and cargo room.

The delta flyer seems more like a runabout with balls.

Now given the uses of shuttles vs runabouts it seems odd intrepid class ships aren't fitted with at least one as standard.

As an aside point, do you think and reasonable size starfleet vessel should be fitted with a runabout as standard?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Delta flyer status

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:Now given the uses of shuttles vs runabouts it seems odd intrepid class ships aren't fitted with at least one as standard.
It won't fit - a Danube-class is taller and broader than an Intrepid's shuttlebay doors.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

My guess is that the spaceplane an Intrepid is fitted with means the Intrepids were intended for long missions concerning planets with atmospheres.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Teaos wrote:Now given the uses of shuttles vs runabouts it seems odd intrepid class ships aren't fitted with at least one as standard.
It won't fit - a Danube-class is taller and broader than an Intrepid's shuttlebay doors.
Well... so is the Delta Flyer.

*runs off*
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
Well... so is the Delta Flyer.

*runs off*
Beat me to it. Also, as T_A mentions, the Intrepid-class did have that "aeroshuttle" or whatever attached.*

* - I know we haven't seen it, but it was certainly visible on the model... and did have what appeared to be warp nacelles.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I thought that was more of a captains yaught. Big comfy slow ship for diplomatic missions.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:I thought that was more of a captains yaught. Big comfy slow ship for diplomatic missions.
The captain's yacht of the E-E was at least as capable as any shuttle, and probably on par with a runabout.
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Teaos wrote:I thought that was more of a captains yaught. Big comfy slow ship for diplomatic missions.
Backstage it is established to be an "aeroshuttle," I guess somewhere between an extremely capable shuttle and a runabout, or between an extremely capable runabout and the shuttle. I remember an old issue of Star Trek: The Magazine included the specs of the aeroshuttle from the production staff. Unfortunately the ship was never utilized in the show (maybe they could've upgraded that rather than built the delta flyer), except as being visible on the model. So ultimately, we know it exists, we know what it was supposed to do, but we don't know what it actually could do.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Hell, they probably cannibalized it for spares after a season or two into the show.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Why would they need spare parts when they just get the automatic refresh once every episode?
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Why would they need spare parts when they just get the automatic refresh once every episode?
Maybe they cannibalised the aeroshuttle to build a reset button?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:Well... so is the Delta Flyer.

*runs off*
Actually, and in contradiction of common belief, I think it would. Based on the interior shot of the DF on the main site my admittedly rough scaling makes the ship 10m wide by 4.5 tall, compared to a hanger door of 12m by 4.7m. It's tight, but it fits. The Danube, by comparison, is listed as 14m by 6m.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Well... so is the Delta Flyer.

*runs off*
Actually, and in contradiction of common belief, I think it would. Based on the interior shot of the DF on the main site my admittedly rough scaling makes the ship 10m wide by 4.5 tall, compared to a hanger door of 12m by 4.7m. It's tight, but it fits. The Danube, by comparison, is listed as 14m by 6m.
Then I think we have a bit of Defiant Syndrome going on. Looking at the interior space available in the Flyer, it seems to be pretty comparable to the interior of the Danube class. Unless there is a large proportion of solid-state equipment bolted on to the Danube-class' hull - which there doesn't appear to be - the Flyer and the Danube-class should be more comparable in external dimensions.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Then I think we have a bit of Defiant Syndrome going on. Looking at the interior space available in the Flyer, it seems to be pretty comparable to the interior of the Danube class. Unless there is a large proportion of solid-state equipment bolted on to the Danube-class' hull - which there doesn't appear to be - the Flyer and the Danube-class should be more comparable in external dimensions.
I think the key difference is in the engines - while the internal volume is indeed much of a muchness, the nacelles of the Danube class are held out away from the main hull, and the warp core protrudes significantly above the passenger compartment. The DF, on the other hand, has everything held much closer to the main hull.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Ah, the power of Quantum!!!

I'm going to have to agree with Seafort. Especially considering that the damned thing was basically built in the shuttlebay.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.