Settlement

Voyager
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Settlement

Post by Teaos »

While trek does have a big aversion to GE I would hope they wouldat least remove bad genes... although now I think about it I doubt they would...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:Also, you've got Kes along who knows about airponics who could move you in that direction if you have issues doing it in the dirt.
She knows enough about airponics to be able to decide which sort of soil's best to use for it. :roll:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

:lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Ehhhh, yeah. That part.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Teaos wrote:While trek does have a big aversion to GE I would hope they wouldat least remove bad genes... although now I think about it I doubt they would...
Remember Bashir? He was genetically engineered for superior inteligence and coordination. His parents were sent to prison as a result. Maybe as a result of the Eugenics wars, GE would be frowned upon.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah but I'd hope that just removing bad genes wouldntreally be held to the same standard.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Yeah but I'd hope that just removing bad genes wouldntreally be held to the same standard.
Yeah, 'cause people never overreact or generalize.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Yeah but I'd hope that just removing bad genes wouldntreally be held to the same standard.
See Bashir again. Pre-modification, he was pretty thick. While his description of being unable to tell trees and houses apart may be exaggeration, it may not be, and nonetheless gets the point across that he wasn't simply not the brightest in his class. He specifically states that the only legal reason for genetic modification is "serious birth defects", without going into specifics.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:While trek does have a big aversion to GE I would hope they wouldat least remove bad genes... although now I think about it I doubt they would...
They were perfectly willing to correct B'Elanna's kid's birth defect with genetic engineering in "Lineage".

Incidentally, we have seen in "Children of Time" that even after a crashlanding the Defiant crew were able to set up a successful colony with a third the numbers of Voyager and a much smaller ship. So I'd think Voyager would do pretty well.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah but that was plot devise A. I was wondering if we could really assume a group that small and untrained could survive well.

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Teaos wrote:Yeah but that was plot devise A. I was wondering if we could really assume a group that small and untrained could survive well.

Didn't the Defiant also intermarry with some aliens too? I remember one of the "generational" episodes where they intermarried with some alien species.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:Didn't the Defiant also intermarry with some aliens too? I remember one of the "generational" episodes where they intermarried with some alien species.
Depends on your definition - some of the colonists they encountered were Worf and Jadzia's descendants.
GrahamKennedy wrote:They were perfectly willing to correct B'Elanna's kid's birth defect with genetic engineering in "Lineage".
That was because it was a potentially life-threatening condition.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Another thought is the different species. There are probably a number of non-human crew members on Voyager (Tuvok) assuming they consent and it is possible for them to procreate together and with humans couldn't this add greater genetic diversity than having just humans?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Somewhat, but it's still a limited pool. Assuming, of course, the generally 'Trek idiocy of different species being able to produce non-sterile offspring.

Here's the other thing - if the human genome is purified, as Teaos suggested, and is then combined with this limited gene pool in our hypothetical settlement... wouldn't that counteract normal evolutionary processes? Mutations would be amplified, exaggerated, and forced through the population with no time given for natural selection to determine the good ones or the bad ones.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

You would suspect it but you could say they eliminate those as well.

The one big thing though is how well they will adapt without their toys to help them along. Once their technology has finally died, the crew would have figure out a way to produce their own stuff from scratch again. Sort of like being pre-industrial again. Learning how to make tools and such. I doubt many has taken some of the more advanced woodworking classes or even metalworking.

I'm sure those PADDS would help them along and such.

Another would be native diseases and viruses. I forgot the name of DS9 episode about that crazy PeTA-like lady intentionally shipwrecking a colony ship on the planet where no technology works. They do well except for the diseases that keep killing them off.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"