SF Debris: Flashback

Voyager
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

SF Debris: Flashback

Post by Nutso »

Episode should've had more Sulu.

Supplement: Star Trek 30th Anniversary Episode Comparison. Janeway casts judgment unto Kirk and Spock, Chuck responds.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: SF Debris: Flashback

Post by Tyyr »

I think the score was fair and he was right. The part that I was most interested in was seeing more of the Excelsior. Tuvok's brain bug and the little girl thing were just a distraction from getting to see Sulu going full throttle.

And did you catch the end? Next week's episode? He's giving us a Christmas present, A Night in Sickbay.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I have to agree with the review. Flashback wasn't bad, even more so by Voy standards but it just didn't match "T&T"DS9.

Though I'm excited that about the B5 upcoming review that I saw at the end! :angel1:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I loved this episode because we saw the Excelsior. Could care less about Tuvok's story in it.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Given that Tuvok was really B&B's proto-asshole Vulcan it's hard to really care about anything that happens to him.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Hmm. Was this the one in which we got Sulu's hot-pink captain's chair?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

I really liked the episode he did covering both Anniversary episodes and contrasting them, and actually going into more detail as to why Voyager ended up being a flop like it was.

Voyager was just "TNG with a new ship/crew". DS9 was entirely new, delving deep into the questions right at the center of the Trek verse and Trek morality, where Voyager were simply panning the storie with them. "Why can't we do that?" "Prime Directive and shut up".

I have a question, however. People said that, if Voyager had been more successful, the next movies would have been about Voyager.

WTF? I mean, why couldn't they do a DS9 movie? Has there been ever consideration of making a DS9 movie? Something as epic and conflicted as In the Pale Moonlight and Sacrifice of Angels, put together?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Blue I think.

Can you imagine a series focused on Excelsior with Sulu as captain? Let's assume for the sake of it that B&B would be fired so they couldn't fuck it up. Damn... that would have been something.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Voyager was fucked by getting home. Once they got home their story is essentially concluded. Hard to make a movie about a ship that's completed it's journey. Like telling the story of the Mayflower AFTER it drops off the Pilgrims and leaves. DS9 had similar issues with its captain ascending into god-hood or whatever and everything that made the station a big deal going away.

Not saying it's impossible, but neither series was primed for a dip into the movies like TOS and TNG were.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Maybe the pink chair was from the movie.

Anyway, the only reason I can fabricate as to why VOY would be movie-ized and not DS9 is that DS9 is self-contained. You could make a film about some untold story wedged in the midst of it, but then you have backward and forward compatibility issues, along with the inevitable "Why didn't we know about that?"
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I think the issue with that is that DS9 ended with the cast moving on.

With Voyager, at the time they were first considering a Voyager movie, it would have been appropriate (and timely) to do the final episode (ie they get home) as a film. Which would either have made a great part of Voyager (if the series had been well done overall to begin with) or a nightmare that you pay for (if B&B were involved).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Now Voyager getting home would have made for a good movie. Leave the series hanging with them still working their way home then in a year or two you come out with the Voyager movie(s) which finally do get them home after something suitably cinematic.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

...and without the deus ex future-tech ending.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

An actual honest ending would have been nice. Giving some clue as to how things played out for the characters would be even better. Heck, if you played things right that could be the start of Voyager's second movie, a recap of their lives post-Delta quadrant combined with some new bad thing that necessitates getting the band back together to go deal with it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:An actual honest ending would have been nice. Giving some clue as to how things played out for the characters would be even better. Heck, if you played things right that could be the start of Voyager's second movie, a recap of their lives post-Delta quadrant combined with some new bad thing that necessitates getting the band back together to go deal with it.
Yeah, maybe something about how the crew's been changed by their insular experience, and can't really get comfortable until back in their "clique."
as Bull offed Custer