Delta Flyer Escape Pod

Voyager
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Delta Flyer Escape Pod

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's possible that the aft access hatch leads to a small chamber which is secured from the rest of the ship by another hatch. In an emergency, both doors close and the chamber gets booted out into space.

It's the only part of the ship I can really see the escape pod fitting into.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Moonshadow
Petty officer first class
Petty officer first class

Post by Moonshadow »

Thank you to all the replies, I appreciate it.
A few shout outs
- Nickswitz who posted the exterior schematic of the Flyer - thanks - that was really neat to see. I see what you're getting at about the hatch, though I am more inclined to believe that is simply the main access hatch/ramp to the ship itself.
- Mikey, thanks for the restraint on the Moonshadow jokes...I think I've heard the same one over and over enough times now...~L~ I actually got the name from the comic miniseries by DeMettais (sp?) and Muth. Good series...check it out sometime.
- Mark, I agree with you...it does look pretty big. At the same time, the ship is deceptively larger than it seems. Graham has a photo on the Flyer's page of the ship sitting in the hanger with people wandering about it. That gives you a good sense of the scale of the ship. There's also a pic of the Flyer leaving the shuttle bay. (Pictures posted below)
- Nickswitz (again), regarding the Flyer being too big for the hanger - see the response to Mark just above.
- kostmayer, Walk softly and carry a fully charged phaser.
- Sionnach Glic, You could very well be right on that. Trek tends to be a bit arbitrary about locating things at times. They also tend to play a bit fast and loose with things like deck numbers and such - see Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, the turbolift shaft sequences for an example. Also, in First Contact - Picard and Worf contradict each other on the number of decks the Enterprise E has.

Ship's personnel working on the Flyer. I'm guessing that the grid shaped object just aft of the Flyer (Photo left, background) is possibly a door, but not likely to be the main shuttle bay doors. Storage area maybe?

Flyer leaving the shuttle bay - bay door is presumably closing behind them after they've cleared the threshold.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Moonshadow wrote:Storage area maybe?
The "grid" actually looks like the hessian wall-weave with which they panel the corridors... I'm guessing that's actually an open door to the corridor.
Moonshadow wrote:bay door is presumably closing behind them after they've cleared the threshold.
Yeesh, I hope so. Otherwise, there's zero margin for error when entering or exiting.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

From the looks of it, even with the doors open to their max extent it'd still be a tight fit.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Here's the problem. That image of the DF in the shuttle bay is... well, bad. We see the shuttle bay before multiple times (with the tiny Type 9s in it), and it was much smaller.

Also, on the model of Voyager, the shuttle bay doors are a little under two decks high. The DF (based on the picture in the bay, using the crew as an estimate) is between two and three decks high.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Like I said - it's dimensionally transcendental.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:Like I said - it's dimensionally transcendental.
Time Lord technology?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Exactly.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Given that we've seen entire ships change size, that wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

At one point it even turned into a giant jigsaw puzzle!
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang