The lost Star Trek Voyager Technical Manual.

Voyager
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

The lost Star Trek Voyager Technical Manual.

Post by Black Jesus »

I had no idea that there had been a planned Star Trek Voyager Technical Manual in the works back in 1995. Apparently it was going to be along the lines of the TNG and DS9 Tech Manuals but it never got past the initial phase. Plus Sternbach and Okuda weren't going to be paid much for their efforts. But the loving internet has provided a rough draft of 37 of the books pages:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/st ... manual.php

Voyager had some unique ship elements, it would've been neat if this had come to fruition.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: The lost Star Trek Voyager Technical Manual.

Post by Mikey »

Maybe it would have explained the ability to design and construct a whole new vessel in a couple of weeks, without any parts to speak of.

Or the reproductive habits of photon torpedoes. :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I was glancing at it......and it mentioned the Captains quarters, Officers quarters, and VIP quarters................but no crew quarters. At that point, did the regular crew break out hammocks?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:I was glancing at it......and it mentioned the Captains quarters, Officers quarters, and VIP quarters................but no crew quarters. At that point, did the regular crew break out hammocks?
Maybe Voyager didn't have any ORs - the E-D only had O'Brien and that quarter-Romulan guy. :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

on page 4 it mentions warp 10 as impossible to achieve i believe
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mikey wrote:Maybe it would have explained the ability to design and construct a whole new vessel in a couple of weeks, without any parts to speak of.

Or the reproductive habits of photon torpedoes. :P
Personally I'm wondering where the shuttlecraft breeding pens are located.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I remember Rick Sternbach talking about this back in the day. He wasn't happy with how the DS9 TM had turned out - largely because he had to write it in a massive hurry, which meant a lot of mistakes crept in. He said he did a lot of work on a potential Voyager TM without any prompting from the book company, just so he could get a running start this time. But when the DS9 TM tanked, the prospects of a Voyager TM shrank to zero.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

I thought the DS9 Tech Manual was just fine. There were some discrepancies but overall it was fine. I understand the DS9 Tech Manual is out of print and Amazon has it listed anywhere from $38 for a used worn copy to $174 for mint condition copies.

One thing I noticed on the Voyager TM (page 9), which I've never seen mentioned anywhere else, is that Voyager had a reserve warp core in the engineering hull between the main defector dish and main engineering. I don't think there's ever been a mention of any Federation starship carrying around a spare warp core, let alone a smallish Intrepid class. Freaky.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well a warpcore is actually a very small piece of equipment in the grand scheme of things.

After the TNG TM DS9's was a bit of a disappointment. I probably would have still bought a Voyager TM just because.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The spare core idea apparently didn't catch on... didn't the crew consider ejection of the primary core to be crippling?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The spare core idea was prompted by the Voyager MSD, which shows another warp core just behind the deflector dish :

When Voyager was indeed crippled by losing the core, Sternbach suggested that the second core was not "plumbed in", but rather an inert unit kept in storage which could be removed and inserted in place of the original if it was jettisoned. It was also suggested that Voyager didn't have that option because they'd cannibalised the spare core for spares to repair the main one.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:the second core was not "plumbed in", but rather an inert unit kept in storage which could be removed and inserted in place of the original if it was jettisoned.
No matter. The implication was that Voyager's journey was done, game over, if the "primary" core was ejected; not just temporarily halted.
GrahamKennedy wrote:It was also suggested that Voyager didn't have that option because they'd cannibalised the spare core for spares to repair the main one.
That makes more sense. In fact, the whole series would have made more sense if there was more stuff like this going on.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I would've bought it. I loved the technical manuals. I would've bought one for ENT, too.
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

I agree, a spare warp core does make sense and it is a relatively small piece of equipment overall. But not even much larger Explorer-type starships were said to carry a backup warp core, let alone smaller Scout-types such as an Intrepid class which is why I find it peculiar.

I would have rather we'd seen the aeroshuttle used versus the Delta Flyer. I never liked that ship.