SFDebris - Fair Trade

Voyager
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris - Fair Trade

Post by Captain Seafort »

Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: SFDebris - Fair Trade

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I like the final comment about the mirror-verse. :P Yeah, not too bad an episode here.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Too bad they didn't do more like this with Neelix. Might have made him tolerable.

Vorrik never struck me as a bad portrayal of a Vulcan. He's just an example of one of the ones who look down their noses at everyone else.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You know, it seems that nearly every Vulcan portrayed was an arrogant prick aside from Spock. But what do Vulcans really HAVE to be superior about? Humans completely outstripped them in just a couple hundred years.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Maybe it isn't arrogance - it's them sulking. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Arrogance isn't always logical. They might not be basing it on technological achievement but on their control of their own emotions.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:Arrogance isn't always logical. They might not be basing it on technological achievement but on their control of their own emotions.
Don't forget their "superior" intellect and physical capability.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

"Superior" as in consistently outwitted, and later outfought by Captain Punchbag? :lol:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:"Superior" as in consistently outwitted, and later outfought by Captain Punchbag? :lol:
Yeah. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Arrogance, especially around intelligence, I find is often quite untrue. Upper class people viewed themselves as superior and more intelligent than lower class, but class has nothing to do with individual intelligence.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm re-reading a book series by my favorite author (David Eddings) right now. One of his characters is a lower "class" squire named Kurik who's easily the smartest and has the most common sense. He calls his betters, the Knights of the Church "Shallow and empty headed men". heh heh
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Reliant121 wrote:Arrogance, especially around intelligence, I find is often quite untrue. Upper class people viewed themselves as superior and more intelligent than lower class, but class has nothing to do with individual intelligence.
They were probably better educated (or at least had the opportunity to be) then Joe Bloggins slaving in a coal mine, thats how I'm starting to view the Vulcan's.

I'm reminded of a line in The Warlord, were a knight proudly proclaims that he is a knight (and therefore more important then a priest) but the priest retorts that he can write letters.