What if: Janeway Dies in ''Caretaker''

Voyager
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

What if: Janeway Dies in ''Caretaker''

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Janeway is killed after rescuing her crewmen and the Maquis crewmen on the Caretaker Array. The Array is irrevocably damaged when the Kazon Ship collides into it. What happens afterwards?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What if: Janeway Dies in ''Caretaker''

Post by Mark »

I guess that would depend on if anybody else died on the station. I need more information.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

The Q are never seen in Voyager.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

This is quite an interesting question. Voyager lost most of its high ranking officers when it was thrown into the Delta Quadrant, so I'm not sure if there's even a clear line of succession to whoever would take charge.

I think Tuvok might be the highest ranking officer left. However, it's possible that a fair portion of the VOY crew would not want him in charge due to his time spent with the Maquis (how many of them would really know he was an undercover agent, or believe him when he claimed it?). So I have my doubts that he'd be in charge.

Apart from him, the only high ranking officer I can think of is Lieutenant Carey, who would have been Voyager's Chief of Engineering prior to Torres coming aboard. If he took charge then it's difficult to predict how things would go.

One thing is certain, however - the Maquis will not be accepted easily. Originaly, the crew at least had the captain intergrating the two ships. If Tuvok was in charge and began replacing the dead senior officers with Maquis personel, I can easily see a mutiny against a percieved take-over of a Federation ship starting up.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

If Tuvok would even do such a thing. Assuming that Janeway alone dies on Caretaker, then Tuvok is left in command. He was never a fan of the Maquis being on board for the first couple of years. I find it entirely possible that he confines them all or puts them off the ship. I suppose that would have make Harry Kim the XO at that point (Lt Carey was not a bridge officer). I'm not sure what would have been done with Paris, as Janeway had given him the Conn when she left the ship during the battle (I'm assuming thats when she would have been killed) IMO he would have been allowed to continue to serve without any rank at all at first.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

IIRC, Harry had only just taken up a post on VOY as of Caretaker. There's no way in hell he's going to make the jump from Ensign the Commander. Carey would be Tuvok's 2iC. That he's not a bridge officer isn't all that relevant, what counts is experience and knowledge.

Paris would probably be allowed remain on the ship, perhaps at the rank of Ensign, but it's unlikely he'd advance too far in the ranks.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm not seeing Carey make it either. At that point he was an enginners mate, and I see no evidence to support that he'd ever set foot on the bridge of a starship except replace a broken circut, much less have any command experience. Either Carey or Kim, you'd have to train from the ground up.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The problem is that if you lose Janeway most of your experienced officers are now dead. Captain, XO, chief engineer. You're getting awful low on the command totem pole then on such a small ship. You're not going to get the highly qualified candidates then.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

One thing's for sure, if Tuvok was in charge, Neelix wouldn't be on the ship very long.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

stitch626 wrote:One thing's for sure, if Tuvok was in charge, Neelix wouldn't be on the ship.
Fixed it for you.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:lol:
For a second I couldn't even see the difference.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

:laughroll:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I have to think that the crew would know who Tuvok was. He was Janeway's tactical officer before his Maquis mission - that's why she had the job of going after him. So it's not like they picked up some unknown.

So Tuvok takes command. And the one time I remember Tuvok actually having command for a prolonged period, it ended in a mutiny against him. I can't imagine him as a successful captain, somehow.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Agreed. Even if the crew didn't fire him, I can't see Tuvok getting them home. The only one really qualified to command the ship WOULD have been Chakotay...........but only Janeway would give a Maquis the damned command codes to the ship.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Aye. With Janeway gone... dear God, wouyld things be worse without her???? :shock: