VOY: The Gift

Voyager
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: VOY: The Gift

Post by Mark »

The only thing I can think of was by TNG, a criteria was established for command officers. Perhaps it was because at the time LaForge was in command red (thus he MUST have received SOME kind of command training) whereas the engineer was out of the direct line of command. Did we ever see LaForge assume command again after HE became Chief Engineer?

In TOS I'm guessing it was a toss up. We saw BOTH Scotty and Sulu take command at different instances.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

stitch626 wrote:Was the guy questioning LaForges authority the Chief Engineer?
No. IIRC, he wore red.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Mikey wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Was the guy questioning LaForges authority the Chief Engineer?
No. IIRC, he wore red.
He wore yellow with two pins and he was chief engineer but there is something about having several people in that position at the same time in this period.
Here his Memory Alpha article:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Logan
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You know, now that I think about it.....how the hell did LaForge jump from conn and junior bridge officer to Chief Engineer. That's a pretty big promotion.....especially as up until season two we'd never seen any hint of these wonderful engineering skills.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

You'd think Data would have been the Eng O, that's usually the Third Officers position in RL and you can't deny that being a walking encyclopedia wouldn't be an asset there. Guess his position as exposition officer was more critical.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Cpl Kendall wrote:You'd think Data would have been the Eng O, that's usually the Third Officers position in RL and you can't deny that being a walking encyclopedia wouldn't be an asset there. Guess his position as exposition officer was more critical.

Well, you DO need a technobabbler on the bridge at all times, per regulation :wink:
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Mark wrote:You know, now that I think about it.....how the hell did LaForge jump from conn and junior bridge officer to Chief Engineer. That's a pretty big promotion.....especially as up until season two we'd never seen any hint of these wonderful engineering skills.
They did retro it in somewhat in "The Next Phase" - Picard tells of how Geordi stayed up all night refitting the fusion initiators of their shuttle after Picard made an offhand comment about their efficiency.

They seemed to do the same thing with O'Brien somewhat. Although he does admit to Sisko that he doesn't come from an engineering background, and only found out he had talents in that area when he had to get a transporter working in an emergency situation. I wonder if he fixed it the same way he fixed the transporters in Emmisary when he was trying to beam Odo back. Great bit of old fashioned engineering there.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

kostmayer wrote:
Mark wrote:You know, now that I think about it.....how the hell did LaForge jump from conn and junior bridge officer to Chief Engineer. That's a pretty big promotion.....especially as up until season two we'd never seen any hint of these wonderful engineering skills.
They did retro it in somewhat in "The Next Phase" - Picard tells of how Geordi stayed up all night refitting the fusion initiators of their shuttle after Picard made an offhand comment about their efficiency.

They seemed to do the same thing with O'Brien somewhat. Although he does admit to Sisko that he doesn't come from an engineering background, and only found out he had talents in that area when he had to get a transporter working in an emergency situation. I wonder if he fixed it the same way he fixed the transporters in Emmisary when he was trying to beam Odo back. Great bit of old fashioned engineering there.

Still....that's a hell of a promotion. But then Picard IS a member of the ol' boys club. Brownie points with him go a long way. Only one question.....what about all those other poor schmucks working in engineering and paying their dues, and actually spent their time in Engineering training in the Academy instead of the Command track? It's these little things that drive me nuts watching TNG. Plus, did anybody think that poor Data got shafted on the promotion thing? How long did he serve as a Lieutenant Commander, poor guy?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

26 years in the fleet as of the Klingon Civil War.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'd SERIOUSLY start to consider a new career if I was still an O-4 after 26 years.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Anti-android prejudice?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Undoubtedly. I can easily see a lot of people being uncomfortable with having a machine too high up in the ranks, regardless of how loyal and capable he's proven himself to be.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Especially since it seems his "firewall" was barely better than the E-Ds.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Don't forget that for most of his "life" he wasn't even considered as a life form, so had limited rights.
And when he was first given his command during the Klingon civil war, people on his ship seemed unconfortable about his temporary promotion, not because he was incompetent, but because he was an Android...

So yeah, anti-Android bigotry feels like the reason he was passed-over for promotions for so long...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Praeothmin wrote:Don't forget that for most of his "life" he wasn't even considered as a life form, so had limited rights.
I'm not so sure things were that bad until Maddox decided to test things - he enlisted in Starfleet, rather than being assigned to a ship as equipment, and seems to have progressed through the ranks in the normal manner. Sure there was prejudice, and I expect that is why he was still a Lt Commander, but I don't think he'd been generally considered as Starfleet property - Maddox simply went digging and found some ancient regulations that supported his case.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.