Voyager
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

OVEG: Resolutions

Post by Sionnach Glic »

New Voyager review.

Dear God....Janeway naked.....
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: OVEG: Resolutions

Post by Tyyr »

Physically Kate Mulgrew isn't an unattractive woman. She's no Diane Lane but she's not a dog either.

It was her character that made your dick wanna shrivel up and retreat back up in your body.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Now why couldn't they get Diane Lane to play Janeway?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Not many people realize that Kate Mulgrew (spelling?) played two roles in this episode. She played Janeway AND the monkey.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I hated that episode.

Mostly for the bait and switch with her and Chakotay in the coffins.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I detested that episode as well. So friggin' stupid.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Cheesy romance novel storyline, plus Indian stereotypes, plus monkeys? Ah, pure win. Some things that occurred to me:

- We've already established that alien planets will produce sapient species that look just like humans, but now they're producing identical copies of all of our primate species? I guess that might make some kind of sense IU, but the idea of planets 70,000 light years away being populated with carbon copies of all of our wildlife makes my suspension of disbelief hurt. At least when they used a pig as a targ on TNG, they put some makeup on it.

- How horribly stereotypical and generic Chakotay is. He can only offer advice in the form of hackneyed, insipid "sayings of my people"? Did they think it would be too controversial to give him a specific tribal identity?

- You're having a meeting of the ship's senior staff to discuss important matters. Why in the hell are the ship's cook and the cook's girlfriend / nurse / gardener there?
Last edited by Lazar on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Lazar wrote:- How horribly stereotypical and generic Chakotay is. He can only offer advice in the form of hackeneyed, insipid "sayings of my people"? Did they think it would be too controversial to give him a specific tribal identity?
I'd put money on the writers not being aware there are differences from tribe to tribe.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Trying to do that "combo character" thing again. Sulu was supposed to represent all of Asia. Guess they thought they'd try it again with the Native Americans.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Except with Sulu they didn't constant have him dropping, "my people" bits of trivia. He was just a crewman who happened to be Asian. Chakotay acted like an Indian who just happened to be a Starfleet officer.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:Trying to do that "combo character" thing again. Sulu was supposed to represent all of Asia. Guess they thought they'd try it again with the Native Americans.
IDK... I never got any vibe except "dyed-in-the-wool American of Japanese descent" from Sulu. Chakotay, on the other hand, couldn't be identified at all as far as a specific nation. In fact, he showed traits of NAN's from two different continents, for crying out loud.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer