Everything you always wanted to know about 'The Doctor'

Voyager
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Everything you always wanted to know about 'The Doctor'

Post by Tyyr »

It'd just seems vastly more complicated than a simple water shower. If they had no artificial gravity I could understand it, but as is... just sorta silly.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Especially since in introduction of replicators. However, in say Enterprise and TOS carrying that much water would have been a problem. Of course, thanks to B & B, Enterprise had "sequencers" to come up with water.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Tyyr wrote:It'd just seems vastly more complicated than a simple water shower. If they had no artificial gravity I could understand it, but as is... just sorta silly.
Agreed. A standard shower works pretty damn well and is really pretty simple. A sonic shower just seems too complex for no real clear advantage.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Mark wrote:Especially since in introduction of replicators. However, in say Enterprise and TOS carrying that much water would have been a problem. Of course, thanks to B & B, Enterprise had "sequencers" to come up with water.
Eh, I doubt that really. We've already got pretty decent water recycling technology on the shuttle and space station now, give it a few hundred years and I really doubt space craft will need to ration water, even without things like sequencers or replicators.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mark wrote:Especially since in introduction of replicators. However, in say Enterprise and TOS carrying that much water would have been a problem. Of course, thanks to B & B, Enterprise had "sequencers" to come up with water.
It might have been, but they had significantly more space than a modern nuclear submarine and its possible to get a shower on those ships. Maybe not a long luxurious one but a wet one none the less.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Your taking to quick a look at it. Let's probe a bit. Recyling urine and whatnot is great. But on the shuttles and space station, they don't shower or bathe. They don't use water for plants in a hydroponics bay, or for cooking. No matter how great a recycler you have, every time you recycle it, your GOING to lose some (even to simple evaporation). And for a Starship with hundreds of crew embarking on a deep space mission that is scheduled for five years....your going to still need to carry ALOT of water. If a sonic shower can cut down on water consumption......it makes perfect sense.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Tyyr wrote:
It might have been, but they had significantly more space than a modern nuclear submarine and its possible to get a shower on those ships. Maybe not a long luxurious one but a wet one none the less.

Water which is obtained through desalinating the seawater. In space, that's not an option. You could always restock at a planet during exploration, or chase down a comet.............but who knows how that would turn out?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Water isn't that hard to make though. Hell, hydrogen powered cars create water when they burn their fuel. And yes, every bit of recycling means you lose some water...but lose it where? A ship is an enclosed enviroment. That water isn't vanishing. I would wager it ends up in the air, so a few dehumidifiers should get it back. As for carrying enough water around, Trek ships are pretty damn big, even the small ones. I wouldn't imagine a real shower on a shuttle or runabout, but anything Mirandia sized or better could easily carry a few hundred gallon tanks.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Thus increasing the ships mass by a significant margin.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Mark wrote:Thus increasing the ships mass by a significant margin.
Not really. A Miranda is half a million a tons. Water weighs about 8 pounds a gallon. So even 5000 gallons would be a mere 20 tons, only a 0.004% increase in total mass of the ship. I'm sure the engines and warp core could handle that, and I don't think a crew of 200 would need even that much readily availible water.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I love a good shower. Or a bath so hot your skin almost falls off. I'd definitely loathe to give that up.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

You wouldn't have to. Water for bathing is obviously available, per INS. Not just for bathing, but for recreational bathing.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

what about holo shower, is that likely? is it practical?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Mikey wrote:You wouldn't have to. Water for bathing is obviously available, per INS. Not just for bathing, but for recreational bathing.

Don't forget Neelix's bath scene in Caretaker. :bangwall:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Can't I?